Chapter 8

"Here's your coffee", Jaebum put the coffee cup in front of Youngjae. They had chosen a small but comfy looking cafe and Jaebum had taken care of their orders.

"Thank you but I feel bad for making you pay", Youngjae fiddled with his sleeves. He wasn't used to getting things bought for him and didn't know how he should properly react.

"I told you it's not a big deal", JB reassured the other.

Youngjae nodded and took a sip of his coffee. Hissing as the hot liquid burned his tongue. He quickly put the cup back down and reached for Jaebum's drink, which was a cold cola.

He drank about half of it before he realized what he was doing. His eyes went wide as he slowly put the glass back down, JB watching him amused.

"I'm so so sorry"

"It's quite alright", Jaebum tried his best not to laugh.

"I'll pay you a new one"

"Youngjae, don't worry. I wasn't that thirsty to begin with"

"Then why did we come here?", Youngjae asked bluntly.

"Oh, uhm", Jaebum blinked, trying to think of something that didn't seem like he desperately wanted to spend time with the other, "I like the furniture here"

"The furniture?", Youngjae had his brows raised, not really believing Jaebum.

"Yes I often come here... to look at it"

Great, now he didn't look like he wanted to spend time with him but like a total creep. Good job, Jaebum congratulated himself.

"Actually no, I wanted to get to know you more", He tried to save his situation.

Youngjae could feel his cheeks heat up and he prayed that Jaebum would think it was because of the coffee. He was a bit overwhelmed at the confession and didn't know what to say.

"I have just made things worse, didn't I? Can we go back to saying that I love looking at furniture?"

A chuckle left Youngjae's lips and he shook his head.

"I enjoy talking to you too so I guess it's a winwin for us both", He grinned, showing his white teeth.

"That's relieving to hear"

"So did anything interesting happen to you today?", Youngjae questioned curiously. He took a second sip of his coffee now that it was slightly cooler.

"Actually yes, Jinyoung and I got a divorce"

Youngjae gasped in fake shook. He found it funny how serious they took the joke.

"You two were such a cute couple"

"He said he found someone better looking!", Jaebum groaned.

"Really? Maybe he could give me his number", Youngjae had a teasing look on his face.

Jaebum squinted at him. Honestly he liked the playful side of Youngjae, he seemed more open like this than in school.

"I can't believe all my friends are so rude to me like I'm just trying to be nice and even gave Jinyoung half of my sandwich at lunch but did I get a thank you? Well, yes I did but also a divorce so that's kinda negative"

Youngjae zoomed out midway through Jaebum's rambling. Did Jaebum see him as a friend? He didn't want to get his hopes up though.

"Youngjae?", Jaebum notices that the other didn't respond for a longer time, he seemed deeply in thought.

"Hm?", He cursed himself for not listening. What was Jaebum saying again? Something about sandwiches?

"Forget it", Jaebum said but it didn't come off as rude or disappointed. Youngjae felt bad nonetheless.

"I'm sorry for not listening"

"You don't have to apologize", Jaebum finished his glass, "Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah, sure"

Now Jaebum got the time to ask what he originally wanted to the second time he talked to Youngjae.

"Why did you sleep on my jacket?"

He could see the younger tense up and rushed out that he didn't have to answer if it made him uncomfortable but Youngjae brushed his concern off.

"No, it's your right to know but the reason is really pathetic", he chuckled bitterly. Jaebum didn't like that sound, it was so different from the usual light laughter that it scared him.

"I was exhausted throughout the whole day because I had been studying and writing summaries all night long, I think I slept barely an hour"

Just as Jaebum wanted to comment on how he should take care of himself and stay healthy Youngjae continued.

"At the end I couldn't even keep my eyes open for more than two minutes and I know I shouldn't have but your jacket looked so comfortable so I used it as a pillow and fell asleep. Also to be completely honest, it kinda felt like I was able to lean on a friend rather than a jacket", by the end Youngjae avoided Jaebum's gaze, too scared the older would laugh or mock him for sounding like a small child that needed affection. But didn't everyone need some affection?

Jaebum was shocked to say the least. He figured that the other was so tired because of school work but what really got him was what he said about leaning on a friend. It made his heart clench even thinking about it.

He didn't want to pity the younger though because although he felt bad for him, his pity wouldn't help him in any way.

"Youngjae, it's perfectly fine"

The younger lifted his head again, finally looking into the other's eyes and saw no trace that could indicate he was lying.

The two began chatting about lighter things, like favorite food and so on. Jaebum was proud to say that he learnt more about Youngjae. When it had gotten late they both decided to go home, Jaebum offering to walk him home and Youngjae didn't decline.

On the way they had a very important discussion.

"So you think pink doesn't suit me?", Jaebum was truly offended.

"I didn't say that it doesn't suit you, I just think you look better in other colors"

"I'm going to prove to you that I can still look fine in pink"

"I never said you didn't!"

"But you thought it!"

"Well, yeah" Youngjae received a shove for that but he accepted it with. giggle.

When they reached Youngjae's house Jaebum didn't think much about what he did next.

He swiftly shrugged out of his jacket and laid it over Youngjae's shoulders.

"Keep it", he said as he saw the confusion on the other's face.

"No way I can accept that", Youngjae shook his head and extended the jacket to JB. He didn't make any attempts to take it back so Youngjae shook it lightly.

"JB, I really can't", The jacket looked rather expensive and he wouldn't know how to repay Jaebum.

"Now you'll always have a friend besides you", Jaebum whispered, gazing up at Youngjae through his eyelashes.

Youngjae could already feel his eyes begin to tear up. No one had ever said this to him.

"So just keep in mind that you can always come to me and the other five when you need someone to talk to, yeah?"

Youngjae wrapped his arms around Jaebum's neck. His grip on the jacket so tight, you could see his knuckles turning white.

"Thank you", He said, his voice shaking.

After Jaebum got over the shook that Youngjae was holding him, he hugged back.

"You're welcome, Choi"