4. Drive-Thru

"I'll have an upsized Big Mac meal, no cheese, I'm lactose intolerant. And for the drink, I'll take hot tea, no milk." I mouthed into the receiver.

It was a warm summer night and yet I was freezing cold. I needed to munch on something to keep myself warm. I have never worked late in the office before, especially not past midnight.

Strange that I've never seen this drive-thru before. But to be fair, I've never paid close attention to the buildings or scenery around me when I was driving. Tonight was an exception as there was not a single vehicle on the road. The drive-thru's neon yellow lights however, had managed to lure me. My eyes lingered on the surroundings before it flicked over to the rear view mirror.

I was the only customer.

"I'll repeat that. So, Big Mac meal upsize, no cheese, tea, no milk, yeah? Could you drive up front for payment and collection, Sir?"

*****

I tapped my fingers anxiously on my steering wheel. Why is it taking so long? I cranked my neck to get a better view and I noticed two people on duty working behind the collection counter were joking around.

Great.

I blasted my horn and it startled them both.

"Sorry, Sir. Here's your order," the male staff said sheepishly.

I snatched the bag away from him and checked the contents.

They messed up my order. Great. No wonder no one else comes here.

"Hey, kid. You got my Big Mac order right but I did not order this Mudpie McFlurry ice cream."

"It's on the house. It comes free with every meal," the staff rolled his eyes and replied flatly.

"Well, I can't eat it. I'm lactose intolerant," I stared at the guy and I dumped the bag loosely on the passenger seat beside me.

"What about your son? Is he lactose intolerant, too?"

"Is this a joke? I don't have a son!"

"Who's the little boy sitting beside you in the passenger seat then?"

Something was tugging at the bag.