3. Jingle Bell Rock

Jingle bell... jingle bell... jingle bell...

Bell-bell-bell-bell-bell-

"Ugh! Every damn time!" I whacked the sound system and it skipped to the next verse. "It's always the chorus!"

"Hey, go easy on that thing," my co-manager stopped me.

"Which smart-assed brought a CD and placed it in the player?" I hissed, annoyance coating my voice. "I can't seem to open the CD compartment. Ugh."

"Well, no one is admitting it. Maybe it slipped their mind," my co-manager brushed me off.

"Unbelievable," I sighed out of exasperation.

"I'll replace the player after New Year. Look on the bright side. At least there are other songs in there," he laughed before adding, "You're going to be alright doing closing alone tonight, though?"

It was two nights before Christmas Eve and my co-manager was clocking out early to drive back to his hometown for the holidays.

"Yeah, I'll survive. Don't worry about it," I tried to sound as convincing as I could.

******

Jingle bell... jingle bell... jingle bell...

Bell-bell-bell-bell-bell-

"Ugh! Damn it!" I stormed towards the player, ready to smash it to smithereens.

Before I could-

What a bright time...it's the right time to rock the night away... jingle bell time, it's a swell time to go gliding on a one-horse sleigh!

I turned on my heels to walk away, expecting to hear the melody of my favourite Christmas song to come on in the next minute or so. Instead of hearing "Last Christmas"...

Jingle bell...jingle bell...jingle bell...

Bell-bell-bell-bell-bell-

My irritation already at its peak, I huffed towards the switch only to find it unplugged.

Bell-bell-bell-bell-bell-

I retraced back my steps, walking backwards. My last footstep hindered as I felt my back pressed against something hard. A wall, maybe.

Bell-bell-bell-bell-bell-

"ROCK", a sinister voice growled behind me.