Chapter Six (Part 2)--X marks the spot

Hi All! Here's another chapter of my favorite book to write. LOVE these characters so much! Hope you like the latest chapter. :)

 :)

I clutched the note tight in my grip and jerked my head up, scanning the faces behind the desks.

"Should I be worried? Matt tilted his head and gave me a broad smile. He looked like he was posing for a magazine toothpaste ad.

We all should be. "It's not what you think." I lifted his textbook from my seat and passed it back to him. "Here."

I dropped my bag next to the desk and noticed a burnt cross marking my seat.

"What's wrong?" Matt asked, still watching me.

Other than my chair being branded with a target by a psychopathic demon with serious hate issues? Nothing—everything is unicorns and lollipops. "You didn't happen to see who left this, did you?" I held the note in front of him.

"Why? Didn't they sign it?" Matt tapped his pen against his lips. "Or do you have a secret admirer."

My patience, already thin, was about to take a walk, while I pummelled him into his desk. "A little help here..."

"Hey." He held up his hands. "Stand down. I don't need any more bruises. If I knew, I'd tell you."

I narrowed my eyes trying to evaluate the truth of what he said.

"I swear." He crossed his heart with his finger over his navy sweater. "What's written in that note that has you so worked up?"

A demon with a history of killing people? I especially enjoyed the fact he knew where I planned on sitting when I hadn't used the same desk twice since the beginning of the year.

"An admirer? I think you have the wrong girl." I stepped on my laces using my opposite foot and untied the bow. "But personal stocker? That position was filled this morning in English class."

"Haha, very funny. You'll see, my charm will wear off on you yet." Matt's lips turned up into a grin.

Jake hopped off the teacher's desk where he'd taken up residence. "Is he still begging you for a date?"

"Your shoe's untied." Matt pointed at my sneaker with his pen.

I crouched, placing the note on the chair so Jake could see it. Then fumbled with my laces while he read it.

"Seth?" Jake glanced around the room. "He's here?"

If his ghost-like appearance could get any whiter, he would have been the color of snow. I traced the x on my seat with my finger.

"And he marked your chair?"

I nodded and finished tying my sneaker.

"Whatever you do, don't sit there." Jake bolted toward the door. "I mean it! Be right back."