Chapter Four (part 2)--A Sweet Answer

This book is so much fun to write! I hope you enjoy the latest segment. :)

Jake's name whispered throughout the room

Jake's name whispered throughout the room. I sunk into my seat and dropped my face into my hands. My stomach spiraled into an endless pit, threatening to swallow me whole.

I may be able to disappear to another realm, but logistically it proved a less than a convenient ability. I ignored my prickling hands and picked up my pen.

"Wow, did I read that wrong." Matt dusted himself off and straddled his chair to face me. "That glance you gave me when you came in was because this is Jake's seat, wasn't it?"

Keeping my gaze on the desk, I bit my lip and nodded.

He wiped his hand across the back of his neck. "I feel like the biggest—"

"Ass?"

"I was going to say jerk, but yeah, that fits too." He grabbed the copy of Hamlet and fanned open its pages. "You liked him, didn't you?"

"Hey, new guy," Wynter said over our classmate's chatter.

Matt looked up meeting Wynter's icy stare.

"My girl Tessa is already dealing with enough crap without you adding to the pile. Capisce?" She leaned forward on her elbows and narrowed her eyes. "Maybe try focusing on the assignment, you know, before she shoves you into next week and I help her."

"Thanks." The corners of Matt's lips turned up into a smirk. "I'll take that under advisement."

Wynter tilted her head not taking her sight off of him. When the distinct sound of heels striking the hallway floor got louder, she glanced at the door and turned back to face Nick, who was scribbling notes on a page in the middle of her desk.

Score, one for Wynter, and zero for the new guy. I guess I had a point too. Well, more like one for Jake and that solid punch of his—but Matt didn't know that.

"You're stronger than you look," Matt said rubbing a spot on his chest. "And fast too."

I raised an eyebrow. Did he mean for a girl? Geez, even when he apologized, he was irritating.

"Whoa." He held up his hands. "No need to get defensive. I only meant, for someone petite, you pack a hell of a punch." He continued to rub the spot with the heel of his hand.

"I guess it goes to show, you can't judge a girl by her size." I tried to hold back a smile bubbling to the surface.

If Jake hit him as hard as I thought he did, Matt would feel that frosty sting for the next couple of days.

"Should we plan our schedule to work on this?" He plucked a book from the center of the stack and looked across at me.

He can't be serious. How long can one English assignment take? "A schedule?"