• Chapter Ten •

Start from the beginning

"Okay, I get it, but you don't have to protect yourself from me," He slowly lowered himself and took a seat on the floor, "I wish you would just trust me." 

She was taken back by his actions, and her lips sealed unconsciously, but she didn't lower her eyes from his. They stared at each other at eye level, searching each others gazes, and she noticed the grin in his eyes that didn't reach his lips, as if the entire situation was a game to him.

Yet, his green eyes held so much warmth and concern that she wanted to reach out and touch the smoldering flames, just out of curiosity, but when she realized what she was considering, she replaced her mental barriers.  

She couldn't trust anyone. 

He smiled tenderly, "You don't think that I can read you, but your eyes tell me everything," She narrowed her eyes at him, "I can see that you're conflicted. I know what you've been through, and trust me, I also know that you don't believe a single word that I tell you. I'm not that dense." 

She drew her head back at his words, her ears remaining against her skull. She couldn't decide if she wanted to bite him, or toy with the fear he held inside. She was never presented with these types of situations where violence was a question, and for the second time since she'd been in this pack, she was plagued with the faint feeling of unease.

"I know that you think everyone is your enemy," He slowly shook his head, "But I want you to hear this." He raised his hand and outstretched it towards her. 

The action took her by surprise, and her lips lifted in a snarl but her voice seemed caught somewhere else as no sound emitted from her chest. She simply felt the need to bite his hand if it lurked closer, and her thoughts became consumed with the need for blood. 

But, his next words ground everything within her to a halt. 

"I am your friend, Reeve."  He whispered. 

Her name slipped by his lips like a gentle breeze, and she forgot everything that had been painfully ingrained in her. The years of torture forcing herself to become cold and distance, and this male had the uncanny ability to weasel his way past her barriers. 

A friend?

She searched his gaze and found nothing but honesty and sincerity in them. He was speaking the truth, and she felt an odd ache in her chest that grew right under her breastbone like a tight ball ready to explode. It nearly caused her to gasp as the sensation was unlike anything she'd ever felt before, yet there was a vague sense of familiarity that was intertwined with it.

What was this? 

His eyes softened, and she felt another ache in her chest at the sight, "I won't tell you that everything will be okay because that is for you to decide, but I will stand by your side until my last breath. You can trust me." 

She had a blank expression whereas he suddenly chuckled, "But please don't try to claw my face when you get angry, it would be a shame to lose my charming looks." 

The captivating spell that she had been drawn into was broken as he lowered his hand, and with a blinding smile, he promptly exited the room, leaving her with a rising ocean of unfamiliar emotions that she'd thought had been destroyed along with the rest of her.

They swelled inside of her, against her will, like a giant wave ready to make landfall, and she fought to control them. She tried the shove them back down, bury them inside of the demonic part of herself, but they would not be refused. 

They would not be ignored. 

Her breaths became heavier and quicker as emotion after emotion crashed through her body, leaving her raided with the shakes from the intensity of her emotions.

She couldn't handle this. 

It was too much for her to comprehend. They had come so suddenly, breaking the surface of the wall she kept them buried under, and she felt powerless against their wrath. 

They seemed to have a mind of their own, and images began to flash before her eyes. She watched numerous faces and scenes appear, each with their own emotions taking hits on her, and suddenly she felt one familiar emotion rising to the surface through it all. 

She was overcome with sorrow. 

She viciously shook her head, and snarls left her lips as she was desperate to rid herself of everything that she'd despised for years. They weren't supposed to ever familiarize themselves with her again. She wanted that part of her gone forever.

 She never wanted to go back to the she-wolf that she was before it all started. 

It wasn't until a very familiar face popped up in her mind that she paused in her fight. His emerald eyes stared back at her, his unruly chocolate curls blown from his face by a breeze, and she realized she'd seen him before in her mind. 

She poked and prodded the part of her mind that knew who he was, as she was never curious before, and she quit breathing all together when it dawned on her. 

He was her father. 

And just like that, she reached her limit.

The emotions won--they had finally overwhelmed her. She was vanquished with an uncontrollable rage as it burned its way through her blood, wrecking the control she had spent years maintaining. She faintly felt Sekhet prodding their bond in question but she blocked her wolf out.

She lost control. 

Her teeth elongated while her claws spread into the wooden floor, and she took an angry swipe at wall next to her. The satisfying sound of tearing dry wall fueled her, and she took another swipe, the debris flying through the air around her.

When the walls failed to consume her anger, she drug her claws through the floor, leaving long angry lines in the nice smooth wood. She demolished the shower curtains and little floor rugs in the bathroom, and then she leapt onto the bed and began shredding the comforter and mattress.

She was a force to be reckoned with.

She destroyed, she ravaged, she seethed. 

There was nothing left for her to sabotage in a matter of minutes, and she found herself in the middle of the room on quaking legs braced apart with a hurricane of ruins laid out around her, the remnants covering the entire floor.

She felt like she was coming down from an adrenaline rush as the hotness drained from her veins, and her emotions surprisingly allowed her to restore them into their little box where she didn't plan on letting them out again. 

Her legs threatened to collapse from the extreme output of energy and she decided to lay herself down in the middle of her destruction, tucking her nose under her tail. 

This was where she belonged. 

In a world shaded with darkness, stained with the malice that she permeated the air with, the ruins laying in every path that she chose without fail.

And it felt more like home. 

✙ ✙ ✙ ✙ ✙ ✙ ✙

Wow. 

Someone got triggered, did anyone else?

Leave a comment!

(Not edited)

-- 1778 words --