Part 1 - A Child, Underground

The pitter patter of my small feet echoed as they brushed against the dusty ground.

I was so hungry, the pain in my stomach was something I got slightly accustomed to in the Underground, but was never able to fully ignore. My clothes were ripped down the arms and legs - it had been a while since I'd been able to trade or steal something more suitable, and the signs of aging was evident in my attire.

The adolescent stage of life I had reached caused me to be growing a lot, I was much taller than the previous year. This sudden spurt meant the legs of my trousers were only calf height and my sweater barely grazed my wrists; if my calculations hadn't failed me, I believed I had recently turned 13.

Despite my clothes being too small for my height, due to my thinness my trousers had only recently started to fit comfortably around my waist. It was nice not to have tight string bound around me to keep them from falling down, it dug into my skin and always left red indents.

I sprinted through the streets, diving in and out of derelict houses and somersaulting obstacles that were slightly too big to jump over. Instead of concentrating on what was in front of me, my eyes faced upward - desperately trying to keep the three figures leisurely zipping through the air in my sights. They were so fast, keeping up with them all the time trained me to be extremely skilled in speed and agility, I also knew the streets of the Underground like the back of my blade.

As I ran, said blade, hidden in my waistband, nicked at the skin on my leg every now and then. I was so used to it that the feeling didn't even warrant a twitch in my expression anymore.

Over the years I'd become more and more comfortable and useful with the knife, I could defend myself from most who stood against me. Sometimes I'd enter street fights with the men to earn extra money, I never came out unscathed but I had more victories than I did losses. Some of the regular watching drunkards named me 'wild fox' because according to them, even though I was smaller and cuter than the other competitors, I was as sharp and relentless as a wild animal.

I caught a glimpse of coal-black hair in the sky and harshly changed direction to keep up, in doing so I ran into two large brutes with dirty faces and yellowed teeth. Without a word I tried to slip past them, but they stuck their giant arms out to stop me. I grit my teeth together, anger spiking in my body from seeing the 3DMG-using trio in the air disappear from sight because of the hold up.

Bastards.

Living in the Underground in my youth taught me a lot of colourful language, shall we say. I was juvenile and still had a lot to learn about myself, it was years later I realised I cringed at the thought of how I spoke back then.

I merely stared the men down in rage, and must have looked more like an angry kitten to them. The men laughed, just as I expected them to; in a flash of silver I pulled the knife from my waistband, slicing my thigh a little as I did, and held it deep to his throat, forcing a little blood to seep out over the blade. When the other tried to grab me I left a deep gash down the length of his arm making him stumble backward, both looked completely aghast and my next cold words commanded them easily.

"Let me pass."

Path unblocked, I continued only to find I couldn't see Levi anywhere in the air above. I took to the rooftops for a better view but still no luck.

Defeated, my behind hit the concrete and I rested my fists against my cheeks with a deep sigh.

"Shit. If those idiots hadn't stopped me, I would have caught up." I huffed.

I wiped the remaining blood from my blade with a rag that lay beside me and cleaned the metal against my sweater until it shone again.

I thought back to the day Levi gave it to me, since then I always strived to be better and stronger in hopes that maybe one day I could stand aside him.