Part 10 - City of Filth II

I only hope you'll accept me, Levi.

I told Levi practically everything I could remember about my life in the Underground, my first memories beginning at around 4 or 5 years old. I had no father but my mother tried her best for the both of us. She always gave me the small rations we had. She was so thin, but she had the most beautiful long hair that I would braid sometimes. My sweet mother got sick when I was about 5 and I tried everything I could to help her, but I could find no doctor that would see her without payment. We didn't have the money to pay and we owned no belongings worth any kind of value. She died not long after.

For a long time I was barely alive, I got by however I could by stealing or doing labour for anyone who'd pay me a meal. I first heard about Levi when I was resting in the street one day wondering how I'd feed myself next. A bunch of drunkards were arguing in the tavern nearby; it wasn't an unusual sight, but my curiosity peaked when they mentioned that the Underground's most powerful thug was paying a visit to that very tavern.

That was the first time I saw him. He was a lot older than me, and all I could think was that Levi seemed like the most incredible person I'd ever seen. My big childlike eyes glistened when he walked past me, he wasn't like any of the other people who lived here. I think that was why I was drawn to him even at that age, I sensed this safeness around him. At that time I wished Levi could be my father. He was strong, and looked like someone who could easily protect himself, and me if I somehow made that happen.

It was a while before I saw Levi again, but I hadn't forgotten him. We were formally introduced when I was a preteen, and it wasn't under the best circumstances.

Flashback

I knew I shouldn't be in this part of town, it was renowned for being an area full of the worst kind of people. But because of those people, it was also rich with their food and stolen items, which I could steal from them. I wielded no weapon but I won every fist fight against the other weak street kids - I was still too small to take on an adult. I knew then it was a stupid idea to come here, and I wielded no weapon, but I thought my nimbleness would get me in and out unnoticed. I was mistaken.

"Hey there little miss, aren't you lonely out here?" A deep voice crept from the mans throat who'd appeared behind me, his yellowed teeth exposed by the grin he held.

"I'm not alone! My Dad is coming right back for me any minute." I lied, scared of what would happen if they knew I was truly alone.

"Oh, well you can come with us until he gets back, wouldn't that be fun?" There were three of them in total and they were pleased to have found me there, it would be so easy for them.

"I can handle myself."

He merely laughed and they surrounded me on all sides. I wouldn't be able to put up any kind of fight against them. I knew I was easily much faster, but I was blocked in. Their huge bodies easily towered over my small pre-teen frame. I growled, which must have seemed pathetic to them because they completely ignored it and started to approach me.

The sound of zipping echoed above us. Suddenly, one of the guys screeched and fell immediately to the floor. A slim male with black hair stood in front of the second. The newcomer was fast with his knife and stabbed the guy through the chest. The third was kicked into the concrete wall where he cracked his head on the hard brick and collapsed. It all happened in a matter of seconds. "You people disgust me."

"It's you..." I whispered. "Thanks, if you hadn't appeared I don't know what would have happened to me."

"Don't think on it, Kid."