Part 18 - My Heart Belongs to You

As Annie and I were falling, nothing clouded my mind. All I could think about was the split second where I would see Annie hit the ground before I collided with it myself, I'd see her dead. Such anger filled me that I hadn't considered anything else. The promise I made to myself about Levi, I said I wouldn't leave him. And then the strangest thing happened, for a second, I swear I could smell him. That fresh, comforting, lemony scent Levi carried around with him was suddenly in my nostrils and gave me a feeling of such nostalgia.

I don't want to leave.

Truly, I didn't want to end my life for the sake of ending Annie's. I wanted to stay and be with Levi, with Ymir, Eren and all the others. But how could we live happily when Annie was causing such destruction all around us, someone had to end it.

I shook away the feelings of doubt and clung harder to Annie, worrying my own instincts would tell me to let her go and save myself.

I felt a tight grip around my waist and a sudden jolt through my whole body as though someone had slammed on the brakes. My damp eyelashes opened and I saw that I wasn't falling anymore. I was flown back to the top of the wall and plopped down on the concrete, I heard his voice before I could turn to see who my saviour was.

"Mind telling me why the hell you're trying to commit suicide?"

"Levi, you shouldn't have come. I had her, Annie would be dead if you hadn't saved me."

"And you would be too."

I stared at him wide eyed and Levi came close to me.

"I was worried about you." I said.

"Idiot, so was I. For the sake of my health can you stop damn near killing yourself? If it wasn't for Jaegers mad screaming I probably wouldn't have seen you."

The sound of two titan transformations echoed below us and we peered over the wall to see Eren and Annie fighting each other. They were practically destroying the city while they did so.

"Shit. Get up, we have to go."

"Levi, where did all the titans come from earlier?"

"Hanji said a beast titan was throwing them at us, seems our monkey friend has sauntered off though."

I drew my blades and prepared to dive into the final battle, Levi turned to me once more before we did.

"Oh and (Y/N), don't forget that on the battlefield I'm your Captain. I can't have you giving the other soldiers bad habits."

I blushed, Levi had never scolded me for addressing him informally before. My redness made him smirk and he jumped into action first while I collected myself.

Eren and Annie's fight was a fucking nightmare to say the least. They basically destroyed the whole city around them, as if the raining titans hadn't already done that enough. We soldiers were ordered to stay back, if we got caught in the middle we'd surely be crushed.

In the end Annie ended up encasing herself in some kind of crystal. If Levi hadn't saved me, the sneaky bitch would have allowed me to fall to my death and she probably would have just turned into that shiny rock. Levi cut Eren out of his titan body before he went crazy and it was all over so anticlimactically. We couldn't question Annie, she wasn't dead and the city was in ruins. A black mark was cast upon the reputation of the Scouts.