Chapter 14

I cradled her in my arms, gently rocking her. Katniss lay in my arms as we watched a movie, that was until, at exactly 2pm Effie showed up, dragging Haymitch along with her.

"Hello children" she said as she greeted us at the door "it feels like I haven't seen you in ages" she said, embracing us both in a hug, before making her way into our living room and sitting neatly on the chair, Katniss and I sat down on the love seat, my arms instinctively wrapping around her waist, pulling her closer to me, Haymitch practically flung himself on the couch causing Effie to glare at him.

Effie started blabbing on about some person she knew, so I grab a piece of Katniss' hair and play with it, twisting it around my fingers.

"So what's up with you two love birds anyway?" Haymitch asks

"Um...." Katniss trails

"Is it that boring?" Haymitch asks

"No, it's just that um..." Katniss continues, looking up at me and whispering "should we tell them"

I nodded

"Effie" Katniss asks "could you keep a secret? If it's really important"

"Of course I could, why what is it?" She asks

"You have to promise you won't tell anyone, we haven't told anyone else yet, you're the first to know" I insisted

"We'll let you know on e we've told Johanna and that, then you can spread it around" Katniss continues

"Okay, I got that, I heard about Johanna breaking up with her girlfriend anyway" Effie says

"You see, Katniss and I, we have a bun in the oven" I blurted out

Haymitch immediately started grinning.

"Really?" Effie asks slouching back in her seat "you're a baker, that's what you do, that's no big secret"

Katniss brought her head to her hands

"Are you dumb?" Haymitch asks, directed at Effie

"Of course I'm not, now have some manners"

"A bun in the oven, Effie. You really don't get that? He was making a bakers joke, but there's a meaning behind it, come on. Think" Haymitch commanded

"Well I don't understand the meaning" Effie replied, rather annoyed

"The bun is a baby, and I'll give you a hint, the oven isn't a real oven" Haymitch sighed, getting irritated.

Effie paused for a moment, considering what she'd just heard.

She suddenly sits bolt upright, a gasp of realisation already on her lips.

"Oh Katniss! Oh Peeta! This is wonderful, you've been through so much and now you finally get the chance to be happy!" Effie says, tears pouring down her face, she stands up and awkwardly runs over to Katniss in her high heels, throwing her arms around her shoulders.

Haymitch walks over to me. "Congratulations" he starts "you two must of been busy. But seriously, if anyone deserves happiness, it's you and Katniss."

"Thank you, Haymitch" I reply.

Effie's still crying when she reaches me, flinging her arms around my shoulders. "Are you having a boy or a girl? I hope you have a girl, because that means I can dress her up all pretty" Effie says.

"We don't know yet, we only found out Katniss was pregnant today. We won't know for another while" I told her

She seemed disappointed in this.

"Remember, don't tell anybody" Katniss warned Effie