Epilogue Part One

EPILOGUE PART ONE

I stand, facing Shayne. He had another tough day. His last sibling, Silica died in the games. I remember when we first got to the Capitol. We were little kids, fascinated by everything we saw here. Now, at seventeen, we have witnessed many deaths. Our theory was correct; all of Shayne's siblings were reaped for the games. One of them survived. He was Beetee, Tesla's twin. All these rough times have made Shayne mature. No longer is he the frustrated little boy with constant tears in his eyes. He is compassionate and understanding but in a more mature way. He regards everything with a knowing look in his eyes. Over the years, Shayne has matured physically, too. His slim, short body has grown tall and wiry. His scruffy hair looks cool on him. One can still tell that he is a science whiz, but a good looking one. He helped free my parents. They were allowed to return back to District Three. I am forever thankful for his help.

Shayne grasped his hands, attempting to not cry. I put my hands on his shoulders and leaned my face toward his. In public, I was still Copper's Athena. Our actions were filmed and put on television. But in private, I was Zeze. Not Shayne's Zeze, just Zeze. Because with Shayne, I could be myself. I didn't have to be "his" or another character. I was me. And that's what mattered most. That was why I chose Shayne. To be myself, not a ridiculous actress on some Capitol television show. And that is what I was with Shayne. In public, nothing had changed, but in private, I was with Shayne. I smiled at him and we held hands, slowly walking together, toward a hedge of roses, under the bright, white moon.

----If you are happy with the ending now, stop here! If you want to see the rest, read part two!!