Chapter 5

****Before you guys read on, I'd just like to say that I understand that it's a little boring right now but I promised there will be action and it'll get a lot more interesting in the upcoming chapters. I already have the ending written but I'm trying to figure out a good middle. Any suggestion are welcome.

With that, here's chapter 5. Enjoy! *****

_______________________________________________________________________________

 As Lila lay in bed she played the scene with the Duke of Bendelvon over and over again. Maybe she shouldn’t have been that abrupt towards him. She should have curbed her tongue, especially if she wanted to attract any suitors other than Lord Hugh. She smiled as she remembered the waltz she danced with Lord Raphael. He was very handsome, funny, and kind. If she were to marry a man like that, she could at least be sure to have a laugh once in a while. Maybe he fancied her and hopefully he’d call on her tomorrow or sometime this week. Maybe she could convince her father to have a house party at their country home and she could invite Lord Raphael, Lady Miranda, and Lord Stevenson, whom she was sure adored Lady Miranda. He couldn’t keep his eyes off of her. With all honesty, Lila thought that they’d make a very cute couple. With the thought of happiness, she finally let sleep take over.

            The next morning Lila found herself in a drawing room full of bouquets of flowers and invitations. As she walked through the entry hall, her eyes caught the calling cards on the silver salver. With Mindy next to her, both females went through the names of the different callers. Some were Lord Hugh, Lord Raphael, and Lord Thompson from last night. She asked the housekeeper to stay with her as she accepted the callers. Soon she found herself standing next to Lord Hugh, unable to get away as he conversed with her about botany. As if she was interested. Just because she was a female did not mean that all she cared about or had knowledge of was flowers. Sure she understood what each flower meant but her library consisted of romance novels, science books, and mystery novels. None of the science books were about botany, except the one about herbal medicine. She looked to her housekeeper and tried to signal to her for help. Instead of her housekeeper, Lord Raphael came to the rescue. “Pardon me Lady Lila, but I was wondering if you were to be so kind as to join me for a walk through Hyde Park later today.” Lord Hugh huffed, annoyed that he was interrupted. He could feel his anger rising and he had to cool it down before he made an irrational move. “Lord Raphael, I’m sorry but Lady Addison has already agreed to accompany later today for a ride through Hyde Park.” Lord Hugh sneered at Lord Raphael. Lord Raphael gave a smile. “Alrighty then, some other time maybe.” Lila smiled, “Yes of course, I’m free the day after tomorrow.” Lord Raphael gave a gentle smile. “Does a walk through Hyde Park and ice at Gunter’s sound good?” Lila’s eyes lit up and she gave him a big smile. “That sounds splendid.” Lila turned to Lord Hugh. “Shall we go now?” Lord Hugh asked. Lila smile faltered but at the end she nodded her head with affirmation.

            The ride through Hyde Park was fairly boring. Lord Hugh kept giving Lila lustful glances and Lila turned her elsewhere. She did not want to look at him. He repulsed her. “Lila, I-.” “That is Lady Addison to you sir.” Lord Hugh began to get angry but he held himself at bay and instead retorted at her: “Lady Addison, I hope you understand my feelings for you and how they have grown.” Lila looked at his eyes and she didn’t see a hint of sincerity or truthfulness in his confession. Lord Hugh continued, “Lady Addison, I have decided to speak with your father and I hope that you reciprocate the feelings.” Lila gave an unladylike snort but covered it with a cough. Finally, their ride had come to a halt and he had returned her home. Instead of waiting for Lord Hugh to assist her, she used the footman to help her get down. As she turned to go inside, her butler, Timothy, had already opened the door with creases lining his forehead. “Lady Lila, ‘tis from your brother. You also received a strange note with no name or return address. I have put it in your study. Also, your father is in his study, he wishes to speak with you.” Lila nodded and turned to thank Lord Hugh, with whom she found talking to her lady’s maid. Lila found it rather odd that Mindy would talk to him and was curious to know what their conversation was about. Instead, she walked inside and went to see her father.

            “Father, Timothy said you wanted to see me.” She stuck her head inside her door and addressed her father. He gave her a smile and gestured for her to come inside. “Come in my dear and have a seat. How was your ride with Lord Hugh? Was it enjoyable?” Lila decided to lie for her father’s sake. “It was good. Is everything alright?” Her father coughed and nodded at the same time. “Yes, but I was wondering, how about a house party the following weekend at our country home?” Lila smiled and brightened up. “Father, you read my mind. I was just thinking of asking you. I’ll have Mrs. Burstyn write down a list of guests for you to approve of. Is there anything else?” “Yes, can you ask one of the footmen to bring the carriage around? I have some business to attend to.” Lila nodded and then got up to do her bidding. As she stepped out she saw Mindy. “Mindy, what was Lord Hugh asking you?” Mindy looked alarmed for a second. “He was asking me what your favorite flower was. I think he wanted to send you a bouquet my lady.” Lila nodded and then walked away.

            In the library, Lila took a deep breath as she opened her brother’s letter first. She was afraid to open the other letter. It had been awhile since she had received something from her unknown admirer. As she read through her brother’s letter she smiled. He was asking for their welfare and will be coming home for summer break soon. Lila was excited to see her brother again; she hadn’t seen him for a very long time. After putting his letter aside, she picked up the other later and carefully opened it. It was the same writing with the weird letter g’s and r’s.

Lila,

        I see you haven’t taken heed of my warnings. I don’t take that kind of behavior bravely. You shall receive a gift very soon. Because of your behavior, flirting with Lord Raphael and going out with Lord Hugh, someone close to you will be hurt. Not one can see your present. Enjoy my gift and see you very soon.

Your Admirer

            Lila heard someone coming and quickly hid the letter in her drawer. She tried to calm her nerves down just as her housekeeper came bursting in and out of breath. “My lady, one of the footmen was found dead in the stable. We’ve already called the constable.” Lila grabbed her shawl and quickly walked with the housekeeper to the stables. “Who found him?” “One of the younger boys that like to come in to feed the horses found him. My lady it doesn’t look pretty.” Lila walked to the constable who was already at the scene.

“Constable, what have you found?” The constable looked at Lila. “Where is the viscount?” “He’s not here; he left a while ago to attend to business.” “I’ll wait until he comes back then. My boys’ll bag him up.” Lila stood in front of the constable. “With all due respect, this is one of my footmen. His death signifies importance to me and my household. So sir, will you please give me the report?” Lila was irritated by the constable who seemed to see her only as a petty female. She was just about to start demanding him and act very unladylike but a hand on her shoulder stopped her. She looked up to see the Duke of Bendelvon. Lila only got angrier. “Unhand me, your grace.” She turned back to the constable. “Constable, please come inside and tell me what you’ve found. One of the kitchen maids will bring you some refreshments.” Lila flirted and used all of her female wiles to persuade the constable, whom at the end assented.

            “Lady Addison, it seems as though he has been murdered. It also looks as though his killer tortured him beforehand because a few of his body parts are missing. My boys are talking to your staff to see if we could find anything missing from his persons.” “Alright, please keep me updated with any information you find.” Lila slouched in her chair and gave a big sigh just as Mindy came in with a note. “This just came in for you.” Lila opened the note to see it was from Miranda. She had invited Lila to go shopping with her tomorrow. Lila penned a quick okay and then went to rest. It had been a long day and tomorrow would be longer.