Chapter 7

*******Sorry if there are any mistakes. I ususally don't reread or edit. If you see a mistake, plesae tell me so that I could fix it. :) Thank you to all my readers and enjoy!! :) *******       

        Lila opened the doors to the library and silently walked to the door to her study with both the duke and her brother behind her. She went around her desk and took out the threatening letter she had been receiving, even the one from her admirer. As the duke and her brother read one of the letters that emphasized her beauty, Lila blushed severely and busied herself as they read through the letters. She saw the muscle in her brother’s jaw twitch and the duke also seemed a little tenser than she had expected. “Lila, why haven’t you told me?! I’m your brother! Why didn’t you ask for help or report this?” Lila sighed and walked to the door as she felt the weariness of the day and the events rush over her. She looked at her brother with sadness. “I didn’t want to bother you in your studies. Father knows because he gets some of the same letters.” She took a deep breath before continuing. All the while, the duke stayed silent. “I went to the constable and asked for their help but they looked at me as if I was a pathetic female. Then I went to his grace for help but he too turned away. So I decided to try to figure things out on my own.” Lila turned the knob of the door and opened it, putting one foot out of the door. She felt 2 pairs of eyes on her back. “If you excuse me, I will be retiring for the evening.” With that, Lila gave a half turn, curtsied to the men, and walked out and up to her chambers, leaving the duke and her brother staring after her.

            Edward looked down at the papers that Lila had handed him and felt guilty with every piece he read. He wasn’t next to her and hadn’t even realized that someone was sending her these things. His father didn’t tell him that they were being threatened and persuaded to sell their lands and estate and move. He looked up at the duke and asked the question that was bothering him. “Why do you think, that someone wants us to sell the lands? There is nothing special about them, at least there’s nothing of value that was mentioned in the papers when we bought them.” The duke scratched his head. He was also worried about Lady Lila. He felt guilty for not treating her right and not believing her when she had come to him. When he saw her in her frozen state something inside him clenched. He was afraid for her and he didn’t understand why. She was just another chit looking to trap an unknowing man in marriage. But he had to admit, she looked very becoming tonight in her teal colored dress. It had flowers and stripes going down. The dress had a silken material and flattered her figure. It made her eyes look brighter and made her look so young and innocent. She had her hair in ringlets and they looked so soft he wanted to run his fingers through them.

            “I don’t know Edward, but I’ll help you guys look into it.” He replied to one of his most trusted friends. Edward and the duke had gone to Eton and Oxford together, but after the duke’s father had passed away, the Duke had decided to finish school with a degree in business and engineering and then went back to inherit his title and take care of his mother and sisters. What he didn’t know was the Edward had a sister, one as hot headed and as feisty as Lady Lila. The duke stood up and shook hands with his friend. “Thank you John. It means a lot to both my sister and I.” The duke smiled. “No problem, I’ll talk to my lawyers and some people I know to see if they have heard of anything regarding your lands.” With that, the duke left and had his footmen drop him off at one of the taverns near his lodgings.

            Inside the tavern he saw Lord Raphael also seated in a corner having a drink. The duke walked to his table and asked one of the wenches to bring him a drink. “How’s Lady Lila?” “I’m not sure. She showed us some letters and notes that were sent to her recently. Someone’s been following her and spying at her in her own home. She had excused herself for the night while I was there.” Lord Raphael nodded at the duke. “The poor girl, she must have it so hard on her. And to think that nobody bothered to help because she is a female.” The men paused their conversation as the duke’s drink was brought around and Lord Raphael’s mug was refilled. The duke tilted his head and looked at Lord Raphael. He knew of his reputation as a rake and for some reason didn’t like him. It was always as if he was hiding something behind the boyish smile he gave to everyone. “Do you like her? What are your intentions?” Lord Raphael looked surprised at the duke’s abrupt questions. “With all due respect your grace; I don’t understand why you are asking these questions.” “Her brother is one of my dearest friends and she is like my sister. I am only looking out for her as would her brother.” Lord Raphael nodded, accepting the duke’s answer. “I do like her. Lady Lila is a bit refreshing then the rest of the season’s females. She is interesting and can hold a conversation and for sure is not a nitwit.” Lord Raphael took a swig from his drink and continued with his reply. “I’m thinking of offering for her.” With that, Lord Raphael finished the rest of his drink, paid, and left the tavern. The duke felt a weird stirring, when Lord Raphael had informed him of his intentions, which he did not want to analyze. Instead of thinking and overanalyzing, the duke drowned his thoughts with drink after drink. He went as far as fooling around with one of the girls outside behind the tavern. Once he was tired enough, he had his carriage brought around to take him back to his bachelor home.