05 | E m b e r

We were at the alley. There was a good amount of space in the gloomy dark corridor. Not one person was to be seen as we slipped between the buildings leading back to where we would go to Auchterton.

Calix walked calmly towards a collection of rocks near a dumpster and started taking them off one by one, positioning them in a wide circle. Then, he opened the large, green dumpster. Slick, blue-green pebbles slowly started rising from the trash and moving in sync with Calix's rising hands.

My breath caught in my throat at the sight. His palms were faced upward and his eyes were closed. I saw his lips moving as if he were uttering a prayer.

The pebbles slowly moved in the direction of the circle. When they arrived, they lined up with the larger, grey ones and floated down to rest on top of each individual stone. A blue and purple aura like I'd seen when Hunter sent the snowflakes out my window appeared around the small rocks.

"It's time to go." Calix motioned for us to move into the circle.

I hesitated. What would happen once I stepped in? Was it a trick? Were they trying to vaporize me or something? I considered them being aliens transporting me to space, but then I realized they were, in a way.

Hunter and Calix were already standing in the center of the circle, waiting for me. I felt a large ball of fear in the pit of my stomach but swallowed it down and took a step closer to the glowing circle.

Doubts filled my mind and chattered in my ear like the intense banging of drums and cymbals, growing louder and louder. I was about to leave everything and everyone I knew behind into a world of the unknown. Bye, mom, dad, and Tyler. I'll forever miss the times we never got to share. Bye, Jonah. I hope you can find the light in this situation and know that I will be happy in this new life. A part of me will always be with you. Take care of my family.

With the last of my unheard goodbyes, I took the final step into the circle. The aura of purple light suddenly brightened and grew upward like a fire, enclosing us.

I remembered being in between both boys and then each of them taking one of my hands in theirs. The ground rumbled beneath me. I felt as if all of my body weight was filtered out of me and I was nothing but air. The world around me swirled. I was no longer in control of my body. It felt as if gravity had taken over. The effect was almost nauseating.

I tried focusing on Hunter's features, hoping his warm smile would calm my nerves. My vision blurred and corrupted his face, making it seem as if someone was shaking me from side to side. Eventually, I started seeing two of him. The last thing I remember was a soft hand on my back and a soothing, expectant voice from behind.

"We're going home."

"Ember," a voice disturbed the dark abyss swirling in my vision.

As if I was frightened, my arm shot up in the air to where the noise had come from. I felt my knuckles collide with what I assumed was a wall. I immediately regretted the action. Pain climbed up my left arm as I clutched it to my chest. My vision was slowly clearing and my senses were rushing back.

The first thing I noticed was the smell of the ocean. I could vaguely hear screeching birds and a bell ringing off to the side. Then, I realized I was laying on my back. Whatever I was laying on must have been out in the sun for a long time. I thought it might burn a hole through my skin.

I blinked a few times and sat up, stars dancing in my eyes. Hunter was sitting a few feet from me muttering things I couldn't make out while clutching his jaw. I must have assumed wrong. My backpack was no longer with me, resting next to Calix on a wooden bench. That isn't what took me off guard, though.