Chapter 18: Jaeden Lieberher's Secret

Jaeden's mom left for a minute to grab something from her car that would help for my headache. I finally had a few moments to mull over how I felt about the phone call. I didn't feel like it was that big of a deal before, but now I couldn't stop playing the memory in my head. Over and over again I saw the way Finn smiled. Remembering how lonely I felt as I watched through a small crack in the door. I wish I knew what Josh said to make him smile like that.

All I wanted to do was surprise him that day. I wanted to spend as much time with him before the movie was done shooting because he'd be going to Atlanta to shoot Stranger Things 2 and I'd be going back home to L.A. 

Then Jaeden's mom came back and handed me a pill. "I called your mom to see if she was okay with me giving you medicine." She said. I felt like I should've felt worse like this should've triggered a more emotional response. My mom had stopped talking to me a few weeks back. After work, I'd come home to food on the table and her in her room reading some book or sleeping. At least she cooked for me. Things at home were beginning to get lonely, we barely even looked at each other. I at least had Finn.

But instead of crying or getting emotional I just sat there and stared at Mrs. Lieberher. I couldn't talk, but that's because Jaeden's mom scared the shit out of me, even though she was one of the nicest people I'd ever meet. "She didn't seem to care...Is everything alright at home?"

I kept looking at her with the pill in my hand. It was beginning to get awkward. She continued, "I'm only asking because she didn't seem like...she cared whether I gave it to you or not. Like, if there's something wrong at home..."

"Everything is fine." I said, "She's just trying to get over my dad leaving us."

"Oh..." She paused, "If you ever need anything just come on over okay?" She smiled and that warmth that a mother should always contribute to a child's life finally filled me again, but only for a moment. It was like I had been in an ice age for the last few weeks and that warmth thawed some of the ice and then quickly froze back over. The two of the most important people in my life left me, and I was all alone.

"Thank you, Mrs. Lieberher," I said softly. 

"It's no problem, really Jack. Jaeden really likes you. He talks about you a lot." she said with a smile. Something buzzed in her purse and finally, her attention was drawn away from me. I was free from the grasp of her eyes and I didn't feel this immense pressure of having to say the right things. Then she looked back up.

"I don't mean to change the subject, Jack. But I have an important question about Jaeden..." She waited for my response, and I nodded, "Is he gay?"

Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. "Ummmmmm....I, What. Gay?" I asked, confused.

"I only asked because I heard him on the phone with Wyatt and he told him he loved him. And that he wished he could be in Wyatt's arms. I know you know Jaeden pretty well, so I was wondering if you knew." She asked.

"I mean he's close with Wyatt," I said

"I'm only asking because I don't want to talk to him about girlfriends and make him feel bad about who he is if girls aren't who he likes. I just don't want him to feel trapped. I mean, let me clarify: I'll wait for him to come out but until then I won't give him any speeches about the wrong things that might make him feel...bad about who he is."

Well shit. If I tell Mrs. Lieberher then, I mean, nothing terrible happens. I mean I betray my best friend's trust, but then again she just wants to make sure not to hurt him. She wants to make him comfortable and happy and that's all I want for Jaeden. Fuck, it does hurt when people ask if I've met "that special girl."