Chapter 12: Conquering Fears Are Only Easy In Movies

"NO!" Arika wailed as she swayed on top of Andrew's shoulders.  "Let me down please!"

"Ari you're the only one small enough to fit through. We need that key." Andrew huffed as he shifted to stop the red head from toppling down.

Regardless of any reassurances  or help from the Thornes Arika bawled her eyes out as she blindly reached for the bathroom window. This was a demented plan and they knew it, but the group was severely low on other options.

After an hour of shouting for Mr and Mrs Thorne with no success someone had spotted one open window. It just so happened to be the tiny bathroom one on the second floor. So now Andrew had Ari placed precariously on his shoulders as she tried to sit on the little awning.

Unbeknownst to the group Asher was getting the whole thing on video, after years of prank wars and familial back stabbing she knew to get everything good on tape, what's a little blackmail between family, and it sure would make for one hell of a family tape! Avery and Aiden paced the backyard, alternating between trying to anchor their brother and soothing the terrified Arika. Everyone present knew she detested heights and the guilt of making her go up was enormous, but the alcohol and chilly weather had to factor in as well.

"I'm a strong guy Ari and your big brother, I'd never let you fall. Trust me." He called trying to calm her, Andrew knew that if she kept swaying like that she would eventually bring them both down.

She hiccuped and sniffled a tear, Ari knew she was being a child, she'd even agreed to the plan, but saying something on solid ground and then what felt like fifty feet in the air were two seperate entities. "I trust you I wouldn't be here if I didn't. I DON'T TRUST MY OWN CLUMSY ASS NOT TO FALL REGARDLESS."

"Ave, " Aiden hissed at his own moody brother. "Calm her down. She'll fall if she doesn't stop."

Everyone was still really buzzed but Avery more so than others. Ari's little call to her boyfriend really messed with his head and he remedied  that with the remainder of the alcohol. He saw her hurting and it felt like little stabs to his heart. But he was still a man , a hurt jealous man and he could still be a petty ass... even as he was mentally dying at the thought of her in pain.

"Call her boyfriend Ian, he can help her." He snorted turning away.

Aiden shot him a puzzled look before turning to see Ari, teary eyed, sitting on the little awning sobbing her whiskey eyes out. A collective sigh of relief went out as she leaned back in exhaustion, just then the loud slamming of the front window  could be heard.

"What are you little heathens causing such a ruckus for? I swear you want the neighbours to call the cops.... AGAIN!" Mrs Thorne scowled. "Get your butts here, now!"

The kids knew that voice, their kind loving mum was gone, in her place was a severe looking lady with looks to kill and a cutting tongue. Underneath the blonde woman was still a teddy bear but it was three am and all teddies have bad days.

The reprimanded children all filed out quickly to meet her at the now opened front door. Even Andrew ran off not wanting to piss off the sleeping Dragon. They were all so in a rush that they forgot Ari who was still lying on the awning. Arika stayed with her eyes closed for a few minutes before she noticed the lack of noise beneath her, cautiously she peaked out and saw everyone missing, a frightened squeak escaped her lips.

"Hey!" She called out. Her voice was a little husky from crying but it was still loud. Yet no one responded. "Oh what have I gotten myself into now."

She shouted for a few minutes with no luck until she was hoarse and spent, eventually Ari just decided to wait them out. Surely they wouldn't leave her out here? They weren't that drunk right? Right?!?