Chapter Three: Midnight Snacks and Closed Doors

"Ash...pstt. ...Asher..." Ari murmured poking her friend softly.

"What for the love of God Rikky!" Came the annoyed reply.

"I'm hungry,"

"Go eat something then gimpy."

"Asher I'm a guest."

"You were a guest ten years ago. You live here now, so bugger off."

"I won't make you any."

"I doona care."

"I'll make Av help me."

"Have at it, I'm sure the tosser would love that."

"I'll make Cole Richards help me."

There was a shifting from under the mounds of pillows, as if a serpent slithered under the covers. Ari was about to leave when a tanned arm smacked her square across the head.

"Hey!"

"You shouldn't bring up Cole if you can't take the hits."

Grumbling the two girls crept out and down the stairs, careful to not wake the sleeping Avery. Once they were in the kitchen Ari called for random ingredients whilst Asher heated up the stove.

Time passed as they assembled a gloop like mixture.

"That looks disgusting." Asher frowned. "You really can't cook can you?"

"It has character you limp noodle. Now hand me some milk."

Suddenly Asher sniffed, "What's that burning smell?"

"I don't get anything it's probably just the radiator."

Asher hummed and continued passing her friend random ingredients. Unbeknownst to both of them a small flame had errupted from the stove, catching the end of a tea towel.

Acrid smoke filled the room just as a shrill alarm went off.

"AH!" both girl screamed as they turned to inspect the flames.

"I told you I smelt smoke!"

"Shut it Asher we've burned the house down. Quick throw some water at it!"

"You don't throw water at an oil flame Rikky!"

"Beat it then it's caught the paper towels."

Ari was terrified of flames, couldn't light a lighter properly. So to see half a kitchen engulfed... well she was holding it together as best she could.

Both girls beat at the flames. Until a very surprised angry growl rang out.

"What the ever loving f**k! I was asleep! How did you manage to burn the house down!" Avery growled pulling the girls back.

"Get away before you burn yourself shortstack." He grumbled pushing Ari behind him.

"We have a fire extinguisher Asher!"

He pulled out the extinguisher and sprayed down the corner. Once everything was out he turned off the alarm and surveyed the very shaken girls.

He shook his head at them worriedly. "What were you trying to do?"

"Make pancakes." Came Ari's strangled response.

"Make pancakes! Pancakes Rikky nothing about what we made were pancakes!" Asher grumbled referring to the gloop.

Avery smiled at the fourteen year old, "Next time you want pancakes wake me up shorty. I'll make them better yet I'll teach you since you obviously can't cook." He chuckled throwing an arm around her.

"You never offer to make me pancakes." Asher mumbled.

"Cos you're a tosser and annoying."

"I can cook." Ari defended.

Asher smiled at her and then burst out laughing. "Flower no."

The three of them cleaned up as best they could and then went straight to bed. The next days battle wasn't much of a war.

For Asher's parents seeing their stove alcove burnt to bits was almost expected after the last time the girls baked chocolate cake and blew up the oven. Or the time they were in physics and nearly blew up the lab.

Everyone was just glad that no one was hurt or worse. Avery spent the morning teasing Ari and Ash and soon Mrs Justice arrived.

The parents had coffee in the lounge like always leaving he girls to their own devices.

"Wanna try exploring the attic again?" Asher asked bored.

"We did that four years ago all we found was mothballs and pizza from the eighties." Ari giggled scrunching her nose up at the memory. "Wanna prank Av?"

"Can't the tosser is at swimming practice."

So they lounged around throwing paper balls at the fan until a crash echoed through the upstairs. Intruiged both girls toppled each other trying to find the source.

There at the top of the stairs was Avery. His dark hair was damp from practice and curling around his face but his face was livid. Dark fire danced in his grey eyes and his fist was through the wall.

"Avery what the hell!" Asher exclaimed.

"Don't." Was all he said before slamming the door of his room closed.

"What was that about?" Ari muttered walking to his door. "Av? Dude you okay?"

There was no reply. Ari stared at the door a minute longer noticing Asher slip downstairs.

She had never seen Avery so mad. Sure sometimes she saw that dark fire burn in his eyes but he'd always been the calm one for her.

After all the crap she and Ash pulled Avery was always there pulling them out. With a sarcastic mouth and sly smirk he'd walked into her life and stayed there.

Now she stood at his door and the closed off space she was always allowed in and it taunted her. He'd been different lately more withdrawn not as quick to suddenly throw her onto his shoulders for a piggy back but he'd never shut her down like this.

Who knows how long she could have stared at that door if Asher hadn't grabbed her into a long hug. The blonde gripped her tightly and buried her head into Ari's shoulder.

She hadn't held Ari like that since they had that one massive fight years ago.

"Promise you won't...promise you won't go." Came the strangled cry.

"Hush Ash I'm not going anywhere I'm here for the weekend remember. You me and a bucket of ice cream."

Asher was silent for a long while.
Then came the words no one was ready for...

Not sarcastic, edgy, protective Avery with his signature smirk and cocky attitude.

Not loud, proud, dynamic Asher with her hundred watt smile and penchant for trouble.

Certainly not fiery Arika.

Especially not the vivacious red head.

"Your mum's gotten a place at L.A."

"You leave by the end of the month..."