Chapter 4: Running Away Solves Nothing

"IM NOT GOING!" Ari screamed at the top of her lungs yet again.

Both she and her mother were in the lounge fighting, though the battle was pretty one sided.

Alison Justice knew she was hurting her daughter. It was bad enough that she had moved her away from her home once... but twice.

When they first came back to London Arika missed Cali terribly, the four year old never looked so down in all her life. But then she found Asher Thorne  and all was right in the world.

Alison knew the position she was putting her daughter in, giving up her best friend, home, her life. But she had to believe that Ari was strong enough to adapt once again.

She was an heiress that gave up her fortune. Alison wanted to show her daughter that being born entitled didn't mean you shouldn't work hard, so she left her family fortune and built up her own empire.

Her father respected that handing the reigns to her younger brother. Now years down the line she had a chance to cement the Justice name in the business world again.

She just had to destroy her daughter in the process.

"I'm sorry sweetling but business in Cali needs me I need to be there and be hands on again. Please understand."

"You promised you said London  was our last move." Ari was in tears now and Asher, who was not listening from the vent upstairs was already sobbing.

Unbeknownst to the pair a furious Avery was pacing his room and listening in as well, though his anger stemmed from an entirely different place.

"Sweetling please."

"Momma I'm in my first year of high school soon I'm almost fourteen you can't just-"

"I know Ari I know it's unfair and i promised. Can't you see how much it hurts me to hurt you?"

"Mom-"

"Enough Arika you will be on that flight with me in two days and you will start school in California!"

As soon as Alison stopped she knew she was wrong. She'd never seen her firecracker so broken. And it broke her.

Before she knew it the door had slammed and Ari was gone.

She rushed up the stairs, she knew her mother was being consoled by the Thornes. She also knew exactly where she needed to be right now.

Arika burst into Ashers room to see her best friend scamper off the floor.

"Oh sweetheart," Asher murmured hugging her friend.

"Shes going to make me go."

"Not on my watch."

Twenty minutes later both girls were back packed up and walking down Pine and Ross.

Usually all Ashers crazy plans were mild... well they turned out mild after Ari tamed them down. Now Ari had nothing to tether her and was ready for any crazy plan. Anything to make her forget.

So when Ash proposed the plan to sneak away to her Aunts empty house to hide out she said yes.

Now the two were trekking in the dwindling light to the house unaware of the  chaos left behind them.

After the thirty minute walk they sat munching cheetos and crying to old CW 're runs.

"I don't want you to go."

"I dont want to go either. We were supposed to do high school together, prank Ave in his last year, raise hell."

"Go to Uni never go to class, party all night."

"Get your assignments in!"

"Get drunk."

"Keep you out of jail."

"No one is going to keep me out of jail after I kill you Ash!" A pissed off voice sounded.

"Avery!"

"I have been driving around this entire f***ing town looking for you two! I've been out here for hours! You had me worried  sick!"

The two let him in and Ari instantly regretted it. If she thought he was mad before she didn't know what to call him now.

Avery Thorne  looked murderous.
And he was staring straight at her.

"And you cupcake, what were YOU thinking!"

Avery soon noticed Ari was half in tears because he backed up and then enveloped her in a hug.

"I know."

They stayed there for a long time... until Asher got bored.

"Are we done here!"

The car trip home was tense. Avery drove in silence and the two girls huddled in the back.

When they got home Alison took one look at her daughter before hugging her.

"If you ever so much as breathe in that direction again."

"I'm sorry mom."

"I know this isn't what you wanted but I promise I will fly you up every summer until Uni and then you can go here if you want."

"And Asher will be coming to visit as often as possible." Mr Thorne  grinned. "Dont worry Ar you'll get sick of her soon."

"Daddy!"

The next two days were tense. Ari and Asher packed up all her things. Soon the boxes and boxes of her life in London were gone.

They left some stuff of course. They'd need it for when the used the house. The Thornes had offered to check in every so often.

Ari looked at her room, once a space chocked full of memories it sat empty and sad. Asher sat on the bed flipping through an old book.

"I'm keeping this. To remind me of you."

"You think he's hot don't you."

"Yep."

It went on like this until they were at the airport. Their stuff was already headed to Cali to the old house. All that was left to ship was them.

"Don't forget us Rikky." Ash sobbed.

"Like I could forget you." She laughed to hide the hiccup of tears.

"Keep safe little Red." Ave grunted hugging her, "and remember what I told you."

"Three years, I know."

He kissed her on the forehead gently ignoring the look from his sister.

After the teary good byes both Alison and Arika sat on the plane, far away from the home they'd created in London.

"You ready my bird."

"Our next adventure."

And it was.