Chapter Twenty Two

"Sa'ad please don't leave me." Munirah cried. Sa'ad was going to work today, and he was not certain about when he was going to return.

She clung onto his perfectly ironed starched shirt, making it squeeze a little. Tears fell down her eyes uncontrollably. She had been crying very much since yesterday.

"I have to go Munirah." He said softly, trying to reason with his devastated wife. She looked so disheveled. Her eyes were red and puffy from all the crying. Her nose, lips and face were very swollen.

"Who's going to be with me?" She cried, looking into his eyes.

He looked away immediately, unable to look into those bloodshot eyes.

Sa'ad had sent for Jameela previously, and he started to wonder what was taking her so long.

Just then, she walked in with a tray of food in her hands. "Assalamu alaykum." She greeted, gently kicking the door close.

She went ahead to put the tray on Munirah's side of the bed. Then, she proceeded to where Munirah and Sa'ad were standing, the former clinging on to the latter, delaying him from going to work.

She held Munirah's sides, gently pulling her and Sa'ad apart.

"No! Leave me alone!" Munirah wailed as Jameela pulled her. Once they were completely apart, Sa'ad took time to straighten out his shirt, while Jameela walked Munirah to her side of the bed, and sat her down beside the food tray.

"Mummy, please, stop crying. Please. Its not going to help you."

As she started her mini speech, Sa'ad took that opportunity to escape. He picked his bag and scurried to the door. "Please mummy, have some food so you can use your medications and have some rest. Please."

She scooted forward and hugged Munirah for some time to calm her down. Once Munirah's breathing evened, Jameela pulled back. She scrutinized Munirah's face for a while, then pulled the tray towards herself.

She then picked a spoon up and began to feed her, all this while, Munirah staying quiet and somewhat emotionless.

Indeed, Hamad's foolish act had affected lives, including his own. 

***********

Sa'ad sat down on his chair behind his desk in his large office. His thoughts were whirling wildly. He couldn't focus on his work at all. He had been absent for two days straight, and when he resumed today, he had loads of files to read through and sign.

He had especially told his secretary not to disturb him and to turn down any requests to meet with him.

He had a meeting with the senior staffs of the ministry in about twenty minutes, and he wasn't sure whether or not he would be able to attend.

His family was partially broken. His wife was now suffering from depression. His last son was in coma, a very unpredictable disease. It was an issue of life and death.

He may or may not survive it. If he did, how long could it possibly take? And if he didn't, he could manage his sadness, but what of Munirah's? She could turn to something else entirely. She could even commit suicide.

Who knew?

He heaved a sigh, picked his smartphone from beside the pile of files on his desk and opened the contacts section with the intention of calling his doctor, when an incoming call appeared on the screen.

It was Jameela.

He swiped the screen and put the device against his ear.

"Assalamu alaykum dad." He had her greet from the other end.