Chapter Fourteen

It has been three weeks now since the rape. Sarah had been facing the hard reality. Pain upon pain, everyday. Some days she wouldn't be able to sleep for more than a few hours, waking up from horrible nightmares, while other days, she would only be able to sleep calmly with the help of Quranic recitation from either Fa'iza or Yusra. She had lost a few kilograms, because she was only able to eat little. She would puke out her little meals plenty times.

She was now weak and fragile. All because of Hamad. She didn't know why he chose to do such a thing, worse, she didn't know why he chose her. Its not as if she would rejoice any more if it happened to anyone else. From what she had seen in the household practices, they were disciplined, both morally and religiously. They were responsible. But Hamad? She never loathed anyone more.

She hadn't remembered to give Yusra and Fa'iza the semen sample for tests. She wasn't even sure that the act was going to be reported. She wasn't too sure whether she was pregnant, but all signals indicated that she was. She will tell herself that she was not. Her period was never this late though. Fifteen days? She was simply in denial.

She had been under great mental stress. Having very disturbing thoughts, feelings, and even dreams. Sometimes she will go out of her mind and lash out on Yusra and Fa'iza, her sole caretakers. It would be as if she was possessed by a jinn. But after some time, she will put it together and apologize.

She was always on her bed. She would only get up when she wanted to take a shower after which she will perform ablution, which was once a day, or attend to nature's call. She would also get up when she wanted to puke, but sometimes, Yusra or Fa'iza will bring a container for her to puke in for her to avoid stressing herself.

Her bruises were gradually healing, as well as other physical wounds, but her mental wounds will never heal. Images of those days will always come back and hunt her. Aside that, she will feel tremendous pain from time to time.

As for entering the dreaded building, huh! NEVER AGAIN! She hadn't stepped a foot into that building since the incident. Yusra and Fa'iza will clean in her place, while Huda will serve Hamad his meals. Huda came to know after pressuring Fa'iza, and even when she came to know, she didn't for once sympathize with Sarah. In contrast, she became angry and jealous at her. Jealous for having been touched by Hamad.

You see her mentality?

She was currently on her bed, reciting some Qur'anic verses to keep her mind off the disturbing thoughts, when Yusra jumped into the room. The way she banged the door caused Sarah to panic. She had to close her eyes and keep her head low to calm down. But Yusra was oblivious to all of that, as she continued to jump up and down like a 5-year old.

"Sarah! Sarah! Guess what? You wouldn't believe it. Umm Hakeem is back!"

Sarah's head shot up. "Oh my God! Alhamdulillah." She said it with the loudest, most excited tune that her throat would allow. "Oh my God." She whispered suddenly, shutting her eyes tightly. The pain just started again, at the wrongest time. This time, it came from her lower abdomen. That wasn't only what happened, she felt bile rise up her throat. She closed the Qur'an and put it beside her on the drawer. She assumed a crouched position, still on her bed.

Yusra rushed to her side, not knowing what to do. It didn't look like physical support will help. Besides, she didn't want Sarah to lash out on her. "Sarah? Sarah are you alright?" She knelt beside her crouched position on the bed. Just then, Umm Hakeem stepped in. Fa'iza had told her that Sarah wasn't well. Nice way to welcome her after taking a break to look after her sick son.

She hurried forward and sat beside Sarah's crouched position. She gently held her by her sides and raised her. "Sarah? Are you okay?"

Exhausted, Sarah didn't think of anything but to rest her body on Umm Hakeem's. Her body was exhausted from all the constant pain, particularly in her pelvic area. She didn't even know whether she will be able to walk well.