Chapter 10: Dark Spirits

Ryuu's POV:

"Absolutely not! The Yuyan archers stay here." Colonel Shinu refused. "Your request is denied, Commander Zhao."

"Colonel Shinu, please reconsider. Their precision is legendary. The Yu Yan can pin a fly to a tree from a hundred miles away without killing it. You're wasting their talents, using them as mere security guards." Zhao paused. I watched from the shadows as one archer split a previous arrow in two. I know, I know... I should have better things to do than stalk Commander Zhao. I would have better things to do, except that Zuko had snuck off the ship. I was heading to my room and I noticed that his door was open. When I went to close it, I noticed that Zuko wasn't there. There were three masks lying on his bed. I recognized them from the play Love Amongst the Dragons.

I really loved the mask of the Dragon Emperor, Noren, so I tried it on. I didn't mean to snoop, but I kind of wondered why he had an assortment of masks from Love Amongst the Dragons. I wondered if he had anymore, so I kind of searched his room. I didn't find anything, except for this really cool ninja uniform. After I changed into it, I thought I might see how stealthy I could be. I decided to go to Colonel Shinu's base, cause Zhao was there.

"I can do whatever I want with their talents. They're my archers and what I say goes." Colonel Shinu argued.

"But my search for the avatar is-"

"Is nothing but a vanity project! We're fighting a real war here and I need every man I've got, commander!" Shinu stated.

"But-" Zhao's efforts to convince Shinu were futile.

"That's final! I don't want to hear another word about it!" Shinu snapped. I snickered. Tough luck, Zhao, but it looks like- I froze when I heard the shriek of a hawk. I looked up to see a messenger hawk flying towards Shinu. He opened the message and his eyes widened.

"News from Fire Lord Ozai?" Zhao snatched the paper out of his hands and skimmed over it. He snickered. "It appears I've been promoted to admiral. My request... is now an order." Shinu responded by bowing to Zhao before he walked away. What? Admiral? Like he deserves such a position! Why don't you just slap a crown on my head and call me Earth King while you're at it? I thought before angrily turning around. I froze when I came face to face with another masked ninja. Who'd a thunk that another masked ninja would be spying on Zhao. This ninja was wearing a mask of the Dark Water Spirit, another mask from Love Amongst the Dragons. That's when I realized that the only mask that I hadn't seen in Zuko's room was the Dark Water Spirit mask.

I opened my mouth to say something, but thought better of it. The last thing I wanted was to be discovered by Zhao. The other ninja and I left soundlessly and wordlessly. He didn't say anything until we were back in his room.

"Why did you follow me?" Zuko asked.

"I didn't follow you. I just felt like stalking Zhao." I explained. "And if you're going to sneak away in a ninja costume, at least bother shutting the door before you go!" I chastised. Zuko glared at me.

"And GET OUT OF MY ROOM!" He hollered, shoving me out and slamming the door behind him. I smirked because I was still wearing the mask and ninja costume. Yay, now I get to keep it!

Tikaani's POV:

"You know what I love about Appa the most? His sense of humor!" Sokka mumbled. He began to sweat and I shivered. So this is what it feels like to be delusional? I thought in my last moments of sanity. I can't wait! I started to shiver more violently. I swear I was shivering so bad that my brain had turned to liquid and was now oozing out my ears. I crossed and uncrossed my eyes, fathoming at how my vision was getting so in and out of focus.