Arthur's Betrayal

The 20th of June, 2014

Eggsy moved to sit down next to Arthur, and Nicolette followed behind him.

"This, is an eighteen-fifteen Napoleonic brandy," Arthur explained as Eggsy and Nicolette sat down, "And, we only drink it when we lose a Kingsman."

Arthur than over turned two glasses. He looked at Nicolette while pointing to the glasses, and she shook her head.

She had already drunk to him once. She wasn't going to do it again.

Arthur pursed his lips slightly for a moment before starting to pour drinks for himself and Eggsy, "Galahad was very fond of you; both of you really. And, on this occasion, I think it's acceptable for us, to bend the rules a little."

Eggsy sat up a bit as Arthur poured the drinks.

Arthur placed the bottle back onto the table.

"Are these all Kingsmen?" Eggsy asked while leaning forward and pointing at the portraits on the wall.

Nicolette knew the answer, that the portraits were of founding members, so she didn't look at them. What she saw instead, was Eggsy switching the glasses that Arthur had poured around. Why though, she didn't know.

"Yes. They're, uh, founder members," Arthur said before turning back to the glasses in front of him, "I want you, to join me in a toast," Arthur then handed a glass to Eggsy before raising his, "To Galahad."

The two men motioned their glasses together in cheers before drinking their small drinks. Arthur finished his drink first and Eggsy rested his hand against the table as he finished his drink.

Eggsy then leaned back before starting to speak, "Harry says you don't like to break rules, Arthur. Why now?"

"You're very good, Eggsy," Arthur complemented, "Perhaps I will make you my proposal for Galahad's position."

Nicolette perked up at this. Arthur does have the authority to appoint a new agent, and Eggsy has already been trained and tested. But, why would Arthur not simply have him go through the recruitment process as his own candidate?

"Provided, of course, that we can see eye to eye on certain political matters," Arthur said.

There was the catch.

"Can you guess," Arthur started before picking up a fountain pen, "What this is?"

Nicolette felt the color drain from her face. Arthur had planned to poison Eggsy. Eggsy must have had a hunch, which was enough to make him switch the glasses they both drank from.

Eggsy's demeanor didn't change at all, "I don't have to; Harry showed me. You click it, I die. I thought that brandy tasted a bit shit."

"Bravo," Arthur said in mock applause.

"Valentine won you over, somehow."

Nicolette felt her eyes grow wide for a moment.

Eggsy must've seen an implant scar on Arthur's neck. That's why he switched the glasses.

"So, you've poisoned Eggsy. What've you got to keep me quiet?" Nicolette asked.

"I would think the life of your childhood friend would be enough, Guinevere," Arthur said bluntly before looking at Eggsy, "Once he explained, I understood. 'When you get a virus, you get a fever. That's the human body raising its core temperature to kill the virus. Planet Earth works the same way: Global warming is the fever, mankind is the virus. We're making our planet sick. A cull is our only hope. If we don't reduce our population ourselves, there's only one of two ways this can go: The host kills the virus, or the virus kills the host.' Either way, the result is the same: the virus, dies."

"So Valentine's gonna take care of the population problem himself," Nicolette said curtly.

"Well if we don't do something, nature will. Sometimes, a culling is the only way to ensure that the species survives. And history will see Valentine as the man who saved humanity from extinction."

"And he gets to pick and choose who gets culled, does he? All his rich mates, they get to live. And anyone he thinks is worth saving, he keeps them safe, whether they agree with him or not," Eggsy added, annoyance in his tone.

"And you, Eggsy and Nicolette. In Harry and James' honor, I am inviting you to be part of a new world. It's time to make your decision," Arthur offered.

Neither of the young adults said anything at first. The silence was broken by Eggsy,

"I'd rather be with Harry. Thanks."

"And I'll join them and my father," Nicolette said simply.

"So be it," Arthur said before flipping the switch on the fountain pen and reaching for a gun from his coat.

He started to point the gun at Nicolette, but his arm stopped in the motion before the gun was dropped.

While Arthur did this, Eggsy watched Arthur, before looking down at his own stomach, then back at Arthur. Eggsy didn't properly move, until he saw the gun that Arthur was attempting to point at Nicolette.

When Arthur dropped the gun, Nicolette quickly reached for it, pulling it away from Arthur.

Eggsy then picked up the glass he had drunk from while Arthur started to convulse.

"The problem with us common types is, that we're light-fingered," Eggsy said while looking at the glass, "Kingsman's taught me a lot, but sleight of hand, I had that done already."

A small laugh couldn't help but escape from Nicolette's lips at Eggsy's comment.

"You dirty, little fucking prick," Arthur muttered venomously before he croaked.

"Sorry, Nic," Eggsy said as he picked up the fountain pen, "Didn't realize he had a gun."

"It's okay, Eggsy. He didn't get the chance to fire it," Nicolette assured.

Eggsy then stabbed the fountain pen into Arthur's neck. He fished around a little bit before pulling out the implant in Arthur's neck.

"Geez. Guess that's why he didn't have anyone go after Valentine," Nicolette muttered.

Arthur's phone then let out a ping and lit up.

Nicolette grabbed the phone and saw the screen, which was a count down with coordinates and a "V-Day" banner across the top.

"We've got to get this stuff to Merlin," Nicolette said quickly.

"How do you know he's not under Valentine's wing too?" Eggsy asked.

"I work with Merlin a lot. He doesn't have an implant scar. Come on," Nicolette said before motioning for Eggsy to follow her.