My Best Friend's Brother Ch. 27

Start from the beginning

And maybe a bit of cockiness as well.

But this is Zeke we're talking about. You can't expect that much.

"Let's do this," I replied excitedly and he unfolded the piece of paper.

PAGEANT CHALLENGE:
Elouise Walton & Zeke Vanderwall

You must figure out this hint in order to find out your first location. On your way to your destination, you must collect twelve green flags that are marked with E&Z. Without it, you will not receive your next hint.

"Where a wise man obtains his weapons."

Zeke and I didn't practice this, but we thought it over whilst we speed over to the equipment area. "Well? Any ideas?" I inquire, hopping on the bike and putting on the helmet. It's been a long time since I've rode one. Which reminds me that I still haven't bought my replacement bike.

"Weapons, so maybe an old military barracks, the one at the historical district?"

"But, it said wise...what if the guy was smart?"

"So his weapons wouldn't be ammo."

I nodded. "Instead, they'd be books."

"The public library!" we both yelled in unison, looking at each other with big smiles.

We pedal away like maniacs, heading south towards downtown. I don't know if bikes have speed limits, but if they do, we probably broke them.

We are such rebels.

I should really stop thinking about stuff like this.

Twenty-eight minutes later, we've found all the green flags. I found the E&Z marks stupid, though. It irritates me, for some unknown reason. I struggled to reach the last flag that was above a tall post. It was embarrassing, but only because Zeke had to carry me on his shoulders.

We raced to the front steps and my heart sky-rocketted with all the exercise I've been doing. Running, cycling, then running again? That's basically three week worth of getting fit! To me, at least.

Setting foot on the oh-so-special mat made for the tournament, my partner and I were anxious to know how we went. At the end of the day, on the last destination, the duo to arrive last will have to drop out the competition. I was determined to win. I just can't afford to lose the first challenge that I actually tried hard on. I seriously think that I would never cross the borderline of being pathetic. That was just sad.

It was one of the substitute teachers who was standing with us. She was smiling sweetly, almost as if she was...excited? We hand her the flag and she happily accepts.

You mad, bro?

"Nice to know your brains are still intact," she remarked curtly.

Zeke and I look exchange surprised looks. Surely, she doesn't appear arrogant. But, I guess you simply can't judge a book by its cover. "Uh, thanks," I reply with uncertainty.

"Well, here it is."

PAGEANT CHALLENGE:
Elouise Walton & Zeke Vanderwall

You must collect thirteen silver badges marked E&Z that people closest to you are carrying. Keep your eyes open, and good luck.

"A new house for anything without a home."

Quickly, we skip down the steps and back to the bikes. I didn't really think about the hint too much. All that stuck with me were the words "people closest to you", which raised plenty of questions. Like, how did they know who we were close to? How much do they watch us? Did they question people beforehand?

But, there was one person who nipped at the back of mind.

What about him?

Do they know?

Most of all, was he actually important to me?

* * *

Hellooooo!
It's a late update. Again.
My apologies. To make it up, I'll write an extra next time.
If you want someone in particular's POV, just comment! :)

Well...I'd put up a dedication, but Wattpad doesn't always show me who's been voting for MBFB. I'm really sorry about that. But...

What about commenting? *nods and gives two thumbs up*

Multimedia Weekly:
- a photo of Elouise
- No Diggity (cover) by Passenger and Ed Sheeran << NO JOKE, YOU HAVE TO CHECK THIS! IT'S FAN-FREAKIN'-TASTIC! <3

Thank you so much. You're the best!

I just wanna put it out there.

This story has reached more than 14,000 reads *smiles like a moron and claps* now let's get it to more than 15.5K! c:

Please remember to VOTE, COMMENT, and SHARE!!

Bye, you awesome bunch.

J~