Chapter Twenty-Two

Merle

I had never been a one woman type of man. I didn’t see the point in all of that, not when there were so damn many of ‘em out there. I knew what I wanted and I knew just how to get it, exactly when I needed it. Never saw any reason to get all tied down. Which was exactly why I was so god damn frustrated. This was the first time in my life that a woman was keepin’ me awake at night, just by thinkin’ about her. God damn it, Harlow.

The room was pitch black. I could just barely make out the fuzzy outlines of the other pieces of furniture in the room. Outside the window, I could hear the crickets chirpin’ away. It’d be mornin’ before I knew it and I wasn’t gonna be any sort of useful if I didn’t get some damn sleep. My eyes found the door on the other side of the room. It was just last night that I was out in that tiny hallway, with Harlow pressin’ herself up against me.

I groaned inwardly. Damn it, I had to stop. I wasn’t supposed to be thinkin’ about her like this. The girl was fine as hell, couldn’t deny that. She made it too damn easy for me to get under her skin. All I ever planned on doin’, though, was just havin’ some good ‘ol fashioned fun with her. Just like I said to her earlier, ain’t nothin’ wrong with two people tryin’ to have a good time at the end of the world. I was startin’ to wonder, though, if I really believed that. A part of me was wonderin’ if I was lyin’ to Harlow when I said that…and lyin’ to myself at the same time. Hell, I wouldn’t say no to hookin’ up with her. But I was just as fine with spendin’ time with her doin’ anything at all. That was a problem I wasn’t used to havin’. Seemed like the girl was gettin’ under my skin just as much as I was gettin’ under hers. I scowled, wishin’ it was just as easy to turn my head off as it was to shut my eyes.

I must’ve finally fallin’ asleep at some point, though, ‘cause the next thing I heard was birds makin’ all sorts of racket outside the window. I could tell it was early mornin’ by the dullness of the light, leavin’ the room still a lil’ bit shadowy. I let out a groan as I sat up, swingin’ my legs over the edge of the bed. I pulled on whatever clean clothes I could find, before grabbin’ my gun, bag of supplies, lil’ Merle, and leavin’ the room. It was quiet in the hallway. I glanced sideways at Harlow’s closed door as I walked on by. I was sure she was behind it, still sleepin’. Maybe dreamin’ up more ways she could avoid me.

I stopped at the bathroom for a quick second, splashin’ a handful of cold water on my face before headin’ down the stairs and outside. The Gov had assured me there’d be a car waitin’ on me, and that whoever was mannin’ the gate would let me out without a problem. I still didn’t pretend to understand his endgame. Hard to trust a man like that, though, no matter how helpful he tried to come across as.

Sure enough, though, there was a rusted, blue pick-up truck parked out in front of the gate. I tossed my bag into the bed of the truck, before comin’ around to the driver’s side. I froze, though, when I saw Harlow leanin’ up against the door. She didn’t say anythin’ when our eyes met, just crossed her arms over her chest.

“Didn’t think you’d be gracin’ me with you presence this mornin’, princess.” I finally said. It was an understatement to say I was surprised to see her there. Didn’t think she’d be so quick to spend any amount of time with me alone…not after the last two days. I wasn’t ‘bout to complain, though. Not when I’d been up half the night thinin’ ‘bout her.

She shrugged her shoulders. “Maybe you shouldn’t think so much then.” One side of her mouth curved upwards in a smile that went just as fast as it came. “Let’s get the show on the road, Dixon.” She pulled open the door and hopped inside, slidin’ over to the passenger seat. I climbed up inside after her, turnin’ the key before wavin’ up at the guards to let us through. The gates slid open slowly and we drove on through.