Chapter Twelve

Merle

Almost two weeks in Woodbury and I still wasn't sure I'd ever get used to the place. Even now, as I walked down the main road that ran through the small town, I still couldn't believe the types of lives people had here. Probably didn't have to worry 'bout much of anything anymore. They had runnin' water, three meals a day, electricity…the list went on. And that was nice and all, but I had it set in my mind that a place like this couldn't last forever. Sooner or later, somethin' would give and everythin' the Governor and his people had worked so hard to build would be gone. That's just the way the world was anymore. It was pretty damn cruel. Nothin' good could last.

I found the Governor's buildin' easily, rememberin' it from the one time I had been there right after they first let me outta the clinic. His apartment was easily the nicest, biggest one which made sense. He was like the big boss man of the place after all. I still wasn't sure how I felt about him completely, but he was a man I owed somethin' to. He was a man who always seemed to know what the hell he was doin'. I supposed I could do my best to respect that.

He had sent one of his men to my door this evenin', deliverin' a message. He wanted to see me as soon as I could be out and ready. I didn't waste any time, wantin' to see what he wanted with me. I was gettin' tired and antsy without much to do in the town. I knew I was still recoverin' from what had happened to me, but I felt just about as strong as I had before and would only be gettin' stronger. I was no use to anyone just sittin' around with my thumb up my ass, waitin' to be given a job. So that's why I was hopin' the Governor was plannin' on givin' me some sort of mission. Somethin' that might even get me outta these walls at least for a little while. I knocked hard on his apartment door and I heard his heavy footsteps crossin' the room before it swung open.

"Merle!" He greeted me, steppin' aside to let me in.

I gave him a curt nod before walkin' further into his livin' quarters. There was a book face down on the kitchen table. Must have had his nose buried in it before I showed up.

"Got that from the town's library. We got quite a collection." He said, no doubt havin' followed my line of sight.

"Sounds like you almost got it all here." I commented.

The Governor's lips stretched into a tight smile. "Not quite. Always room for improvement." He pulled out a chair and sat before gesturin' for me to do the same.

I shook my head. "No thanks."

"Suit yourself." He said. I watched as he placed a folded up piece up paper into the book on the table to mark his place before closin' it shut. He set it in his lap as he turned his eyes back on me. "You look just about all healed up now. How you feelin'"

I shrugged my shoulders. "I feel good. Which was why I was hopin' you called me here to give me somethin' to do. Sittin' around all day ain't my cup of tea, Governor."

He nodded. "That's exactly why I called you here. I still remember our deal, don't you worry. I was hopin' you wouldn't mind takin' over the watch shift tonight. I had to pull some of men to go on a run and now I'm short on a man to put on watch." He explained.

"Ya' could always send me out on the run, Gov. I've spent a lot of time out there. I know how to get in and outta places without causin' a fuss." I offered. I already knew he was gonna shoot me down, though, and he didn't seem like the type of man who changed his mind from one thing to another without really thinkin' about it. Still, he was sendin' others outside the walls. I knew I would do better out there than in here like some sort of pent up, caged animal.

"Not yet. You've only been out of the clinic for a short time and I don't like the idea of puttin' any extra strain on you. Like I said before, Merle. I need more men like you. In top condition. Give it just a little more time and I'll be sendin' you out with the others. Understand?" He asked, raisin' his eyebrows just slightly.

I curled my fingers into a fist, hopin' he wouldn't notice my annoyance at been told I couldn't do somethin'. I hated been kept from what I wanted to do almost more than anythin'. I also knew, though, that I wasn't in any sort of place to argue with this man. I just needed to keep my cool and do what he asked for a little while. Then I'd be out there lookin' for Daryl in no time. I forced another nod. "I get it. I'll take that watch shift tonight."

"Good man, Merle. The sun looks like it's already startin' to set so why don't you go ahead and do what you need to do before relievin' Crowley." He said and I knew it was his way of tellin' me the conversation was done and over with and I needed to get gone.

I didn't say anythin' else, instead lettin' myself out through the door. I took the narrow flight of steps down to the street level and stepped out into the humid, Georgia air. The sun was hangin' low in the sky as I walked back to my own buildin', wantin' to get in a quick shower before I spent an entire night sittin' up on that wall. Doin' what I knew was most likely gonna be a whole lot of nothin'.

I ground my back teeth, feelin' a little frustrated at how slowly things were movin' about here. I wanted to be out there searchin' for my brother the minute I was able to get outta bed on my own, but I knew that sure as hell wouldn't fly under the Governor's watch. Sure, I could just as easily leave but he was offerin' me the help of his other men. He had supplies, cars, weapons…all sorts of shit that would make my search a hell of a lot easier. Which was why it was better to play nice than go and piss him off.

It was a short walk back to the old ivy colored buildin'. In no time at all, I was in my own room gatherin' up a clean towel to take with me to the shared bathroom down the hall. So far, I hadn't seen any of the others that apparently also lived in this place. Aside from that Harlow chick. She hadn't wanted much to do with me, though, since that day in the clinic.

I threw the towel over my shoulder and made my way down the hall, my footsteps echoin' off the walls. I could hear the water runnin' behind the door. Son of a bitch, of course after just thinkin' 'bout how I had never seen another livin' soul in the buildin' and now I was gonna have to wait for the shower. I let out an annoyed sigh, wonderin' if it was worth waitin' around or not.

'Bout halfway through that thought, though, I heard the water shut off. Whoever it was must have just been finishin' up. I lingered outside the door, waitin' on them to open the door so I could hurry it up and do what I had to do before gettin' over to the wall. Not a full five minutes later, the door swung open. I couldn't hide the surprise at seein' her there, drippin' wet and wrapped up in a towel. It quickly melted away, though, and instead a sort of feelin' of glee arranged itself onto my face. I leaned against the door jam, givin' her a big smirk.

"Well, well, well…if it ain't my lucky day. You been avoidin' me lately, sugar? Haven't seen you around much." I drawled. My eyes wandered her body from head to toe, takin' in those bare legs and shoulders. Her cheeks started to heat up to a bright ass red and I could tell she was tryin' hard to hide how uncomfortable she was. "Should have let me know you were plannin' on showerin' today too. Could have saved a lot of time and water by showerin' together." I grinned at her. I couldn't stop myself from toyin' with her. It was too damn easy. Plus, the longer she stood in that doorway, the longer I could look at her. And damn was she fine.

"Not even in your wildest dreams, Dixon." She said, her tone like ice. She tried to push past me but I stepped in her way, blockin' the doorway. I wasn't done playin' yet.

She narrowed her eyes. Clearly I'd done my job and pissed her off good. "Move." She hissed.

I didn't flinch, lookin' back at her coolly, smirk back in place on my lips. "Where you runnin' off too so quickly? Don't you wanna stick around? I was thinkin' you could help me outta these clothes, maybe wash some of those harder to reach areas."

I watched as those gray eyes of hers grew wide and I was sure for a second she was gonna hit me as hard as she could. Instead, she shoved past me, hittin' my shoulder pretty damn hard as she stormed down the hallway to her room. I watched her go and couldn't hold back the laughter that had been buildin' up inside me.

"Fuck off, Dixon!" She called over her shoulder. Even from here, I could see her glarin' at me hard before she slammed the door shut hard enough to rattle the walls.

I shook my head. Too damn easy.