dancing phosphors

Start from the beginning

"Happy Halloween!" She let out happily and noticeably intoxicated. Stiles watched as she walked into the crowd with a dazed expression taking over his features.

"It can wait...it can wait," He said to Scott referring to the key. Without another word or even a glance towards us, he went to follow the girl.

I kept my eyes on the back of his head with confusion clouding my mind and a sinking feeling in my chest. I thought the moment we shared earlier had meant something.

"Are you okay?" Kira asked, snapping me out of my trance. I nodded and smiled at her.

"C'mon," Scott said as he approached her, nodding towards the dance floor.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine! Go!" She smiled at me and took Scott's hand in hers, letting him lead the way.

I went to search for something to drink and later sat down on one of the seats lined up by the far left wall. I plopped myself down and leaned back with a sigh.

I had never been much for parties. I always managed to find myself alone in a corner somewhere looking more awkward than usual. Of course, I only had myself to blame for that since I found being social a bit exhausting.

"Oh. My. God." I whisper to myself as I notice Stiles in the crowd dancing. At least, I think that's what he's trying to do. He was bouncing and his arms were flailing, I was sure he would accidentally hit someone.

The girl he had followed earlier suddenly emerged from the crowd and plopped herself down next to me with an unopened beer bottle in her hand. She leaned back and turned to look at me with a big smile, "Hey, I'm Caitlin! What's your name?"

I could taste the alcohol on her breath, but I couldn't help but smile at her cheerful tone, "I'm Aspen."

"It's nice to meet you, Aspen! Hey, you don't happen to have a bottle opener, would you?"

I shook my head, "No, sorry."

"Hey, there you are!" Stiles said as he plopped himself down next to Caitlin.

"Here I am!" She said dragging out the words. "This is my new friend Aspen!"

"Mm, we actually know each other," I said and downed the remainder of my beer. Stiles furrowed at the tone of my voice but decided not to comment on it.

"You have a bottle opener?"

"Uh, yeah," Stiles said and took out his keys from his pocket and opened the bottle for her.

She suddenly grabbed one of the keys, "Your key has phosphors on it, look!"

He looked down at the shiny key in confusion, I leaned forward to get a better look, "Why does your key have phosphors on it?"

"I don't-what are phosphors?"

"Oh, they're any substance that luminesces. It's in your teeth and your fingernails, laundry detergent. It's also in this!" Caitlin said happily.

"It reacts to the UV light, that's why it glows," I chimed in absentmindedly.

"How would I get phosphors on my key?" He asked even more confused now.

"Have you been handling chemicals?"

"No, I don't think I..." He stopped abruptly and looked up at us with widened eyes. He then rose from his seat, "I'm sorry, I just thought of something and I have to go."

Caitlin just nodded and said okay, going back to her beer.

"What? Where are you going?" I asked as he started to leave.

"I just, I need to go."

"Stiles!" I said but he was already gone. "What the hell?"

"Is he okay?"

"I don't even know," I stood up and put my jacket back on. "Are you going to be okay?"

She nodded and smiled up at me, quite out of it. I sighed and looked around quickly. I noticed a few water bottles and went to grab one, handing it to Caitlin, "Here, drink that. All of it, okay?"

She took the bottle from me and I left her to run after Stiles, hoping he hadn't left yet. I ran outside and saw him getting into his jeep, "Wait! Stiles, wait!"

I ran over to it and opened the passenger seat, jumping inside. "What the hell are you doing? Where are you going? What was all that about the key? What the hell is going on?"

"Aspen!" His voice boomed and I bit my bottom lip so I wouldn't say anything else. I took in a deep breath and exhaled.

"Sorry."

"What are you doing here? You should go back inside."

"No, I'm coming with you and you're going to fill me in on everything because I'm tired of being confused all the damn time," I said and buckled myself in, "Now drive."

He let out a sigh but didn't object, "Fine."