CastielxReader: Almost Lover

You took a deep breath as you inhaled the delicious, sweet scent of coffee. You didn’t like to drink coffee much, but the smell of it when mixed with caramel and vanilla made your toes scrunch up in joy. 

‘Today’s going to be a good day.’ You assured yourself as you took a drink of a hot chocolate you ordered. You had finally gotten your life together – going to college and getting a degree in Art and Creative Writing, finding a nice house and a dog – and you felt there was nothing that could ruin it. Then he showed up.

You looked up as the door to the coffee shop opened with a loud ding and saw two familiar brothers walk in, arguing with each other in hushed tones. 

‘Winchesters,’ You thought, smiling when they saw you. You had been raised to hunt when you turned fourteen, but you got into a sticky mess until the Winchesters showed up just in time. They took you hunting with them a few times, making some good memories. When they sat down at your booth, the door dinged again and your smiled faltered.

A man in a tan trench coat and dark suit with raven black hair and azure eyes made his way towards you and the boys, his eyes never leaving your face as you remembered the last time you had seen the angel.

~~~~~The Past~~~~~~

The rain was falling hard that night, blinding your vision as you ran as fast as you could. Twigs snapped under your feet and branches left cuts on your arms, but you continued on, determination fueling your desire. 

Finally, there was a clear view through the trees that showed you your angel standing next to the ledge of a cliff, his arms open to the falling rain.

“Cas!” You called out in need. You watched as he turned to the sound of your voice, his eyes bright in concern and surprise. Quickly, you began to run again, desperiation trying to rip free from you.

“Cas, don’t!” You watched as the angel looked at you solemnly and full of heart ache, it made your heart begin to beat faster in fear. You soon broke free from the trees and reached out to the angel, your fingertips slightly grazing his cheek until there was nothing there. You gasped, disbelief rolling over you like a wave.

“Cas?” You whispered. There was no answer. You quickly turned to see if the angel was behind you, but fell to your knees when you discovered he wasn’t.

“No. No, no, no, no!” You cried as you hid your face in your hands, your tears mixing with the cold, unfeeling rain. “You promised me, Castiel! You promised you would never leave me! You swore you would always be there!” You yelled as you looked up to the Heavens, pain burning you like a wildfire out of control. There was no answer from your sweet, beautiful angel, only a deafening silence as the rain continued to fall.

You sat in that spot for what seemed like hours until Sam and Dean found you half-dead from the cold. You complied as they took you to the hospital and let you stay with another hunter named Bobby Singer until you got better. While out of it, you tried to do all you could to help the fellow hunter as he helped you. As much as you tried to smile though, Bobby could tell how heart broken you were.

“__________, this isn’t a kind of life you should be livin’. Go back to school, buy a house, get a dog! Do everythin’ you can to get outta the life. Promise me.” You had promised the old man and, when you got better, moved to the cold, clean Colorado mountains and went back to school, letting go of the life, but never forgetting about him.

~~~~~Present~~~~~~

“Castiel.” You said in awe as he stood in front of you for the first time in years. He said nothing. Suddenly, you felt your stomach lurch forward and your body grow cold and rigid. “I’m gonna be sick.” As fast as you could, you climbed out of your booth and ran to the bathroom, leaving the men there in shock.