Chapter 31 ~ Moving Forward

Start from the beginning

Her tone is so condescending and all I want to do is shut her mouth.

"Actually," I start, gritting my teeth, "our car broke down so we had to call a tow truck and then wait for it to be repaired."

I flash her the most sickly sweet smile I can muster, keeping with the 'good girl' disguise. She raises her eyebrows and tilts her glasses onto her nose but doesn't question any further when she sees Alice vigorously nodding her head.

"Alright, get to class, here are your passes." She snaps, scribbling out the time and our names then waving us through.

I snatch the pass quickly from her hands, fighting the urge to roll my eyes and hurriedly walk out the door, Braiden and Alice not far behind.

"Alright, see you guys at lunch, have fun in AP Chemistry. Not." Alice jokes, waving us off as she heads to her next class.

"We will. Remember, mouth shut." I pretend to lock my lips and throw away the key.

"Ma'm yes ma'm." She salutes, then turns around leaving Braiden and I.

He's been pretty silent since meeting my grandma, and I can't help but wonder why. When I glance over at him he seems to be deep in thought. Furrowed eyebrows and tight lips, almost like he's worried about something. Either way, he still looks amazingly perfect and I can't tear my eyes away.

"You're staring."

His voice makes me jump and I shake myself from my thoughts.

"Was not! I was looking out the window."

He looks behind him only to stare at a set of lockers. "Sure, it must be an invisible window."

My cheeks flush at the pathetic excuse and I know he caught on.

"Whatever. You just looked worried or something, I don't know. Are you?"

He pauses for a moment, takes a deep breath then starts talking. "I'm just worried about going to this class. The way this Mr. Meade dude acts towards you freaks me the hell out."

Aww, how sweet, he's watching out for me.

"Me neither. There's definitely something weird going on. Plus he has the cobra tattoo which means he's for sure associated with Damien. It's just a matter of me playing a pretty good bait so we can get information." I reply, hating the fact that I have to get close to this guy.

The worried look Braiden was wearing turns angry. "About that, I don't like how Jackson's making you bait. That's downright dangerous. From now on I'm coming with you, or monitoring you around these guys."

The look on his face is pure determination and I know he's not going to compromise his answer.

"It's alright, Braiden. That's just part of the job. Now c'mon, we've got to get in there." I gesture to the door down the hall.

He doesn't answer, just nods and we silently walk into class. Luckily the door is open. Instead of Braiden sitting in the back he walks to the front with me and plops down in the seat next to mine. Once again, Mr. Meade has a smirk growing on his face.

"Well hello children. A bit late are we?"

Instead of responding, I walk up to his desk, slam my pass down and walk back. "Nope."

"Bailey, I will not have you talk back to me." He says, raising his voice.

What does he mean talk back? I answered his question!

"Trust me, you'll know when I talk back." I respond. Okay, that's sass right there.

He walks to the front of my desk and leans down. "I suggest you watch that tone or else-"

"Or else what?" Braiden cuts in, and Mr. Meades attention flicks to him.

"And what are you doing up here, your assigned seat is in the back of the room." He sneers and the class is now fully paying attention.

Braiden sits up straighter meeting his stare. "Well last time I checked I don't take orders from you."

The class erupts into a series of "ooos" but the teacher gets even more irritated.

A smile makes its way onto my face. Go Braiden!

"That's enough!" Mr. Meade slams his fist on the table, echoing through the room and quieting down the class immediately. "R-Bailey you will stay after class." My heart leaps when I hear the start of my real name. "And you," he sneers at Braiden, "if you so much as break one more rule, you're out of my class. Now everyone back to work."

I'm about to point out the unfairness of the situation, but he shoots me a glare that shuts my mouth.

Another agonizing, silent hour later, and the bell rings.

"I'll be outside the door." Braiden whispers in my ear and I nod my head.

Just as I'm picking up the rest of my books Mr. Meade appears in front of me. Way too close by the way.

"Hello there, Ryan." He smirks and I'm slightly taken aback.

"Who's Ryan? My names Bailey." I say, playing dumb seeing what else I'll get out of him.

"Cut the act, Ryan. Don't think I don't know who you and your little friend, Braiden are."

"How do you? Who are you working for?" I interrogate him, pushing until he breaks like glass.

"You'll find out soon enough." He whispers, breath grazing against my ear.

"Who are you working for!" I scream, pushing him off me.

Instead of moving he grabs my face and pulls it close to his. "Listen to me, Ryan-"

Before he can finish Braiden storms in through the door, shutting it on the way in. "Get your hands off her asshole!"

"What are you going to do about it?" He snarkily asks back.

"This." Braiden raises the tranquilizer gun and the dart sticks in his neck.

His body crumples to the floor, releasing me. Just before his eyes close, he whispers something I barely hear.

"You'll be meeting him soon."