Chapter Thirty-Three - Go On, Ask Me

Start from the beginning

I took a deep breath, trying to relax and ignore his last comment. "What am I supposed to do, then?" I glanced at Riley briefly. He wasn't staring at me but looking around the room, bored. As I regarded his nonchalant attitude, a spark of annoyance licked at my heart. While I was fighting to keep myself together, he was acting as if there wasn't a care in the world. 

"Whatever Samuel asks you to."

I scoffed, unable to hold it back. I meant for my next word to only sound in my head, but it came out of my mouth, too late for me to stop it. "Obviously."

Riley's eyes darted to mine immediately, glowing red with a sudden fire. "Well, if you know so much, then why don't you explain to me how this works."

I closed my eyes, cursing myself. The one goal I had was to not piss Riley off, yet here I was, doing just that. I could feel his gaze burning into me, but I pressed my lips tightly together, fearful that anything I said would only anger him further. This is exactly why I could never let my guard down. This is why it was better to stay quiet. 

"No answer?" He demanded.

I bowed my head and slumped my shoulders, showing him in every way possible he'd won this small fight. However, he wasn't done with me. 

"That's what I thought. You don't have an answer, you don't know anything," he told me, matter-of-factly. "The only reason you're even still alive is because of Samuel. You owe your life to him, no matter how pathetic of a life it may be. Do you understand that?"

"Yes," I whispered. 

"Good. Do you also understand that I could kill your brother in a heartbeat, and no one would notice or question it? That I could put your mother on trial for the disappearance of her mate? That if I were really dedicated, I could find that packless mutt and bring him back? How would your dear family fare then?"

My heart stopped, along with my world. His threats cut deeper and deeper into an already raw wound. I desperately tried to fix my mistake, keeping my head bowed and my full attention on his rising temper. "I'm sorry-"

"Do you understand?" He reiterated, ignoring my groveling.  

My voice couldn't have been softer. "Yes."

"Wonderful. Then the job shouldn't be too hard, even for you." He immediately calmed down, leaning back in his chair and resting his arms behind his head, mumbling something I couldn't hear. 

I stayed silent, despite the fact my mind was going wild. It wasn't in my nature to bend over and allow someone to speak to me like Riley did, but I had no choice. Just like I had no choice when James did it. If I were to argue, I wouldn't be the ones facing the consequences. Those were reserved for my family. That was reason enough to stay withdrawn and endure their demeaning words. 

"Anyway, like I was saying," Riley stopped his mumblings and focused on me once more. "I refuse to let this humanity thing get in the way for much longer."

"I understand."

"But, we will fix this. It's going to take time, but I have a plan." Riley paused, his voice growing excited. "Go on, ask me what it is."

I held back a sigh. "What is the plan?"

"You must ask Samuel to change you."

I went deathly still, searching desperately for a way to postpone this new idea of his. "Won't he change me, anyway?"

"I'm not sure, anymore," Riley hummed. "He is a stickler for the rules, but he also doesn't want to hurt you. After your little stunt, I'm sure he's going to do whatever it takes to gain your approval and not make you want to run again." He laughed, "Not that you could."