chapter 18

CICILY'S POV

I slowly open my eyes. My head feels like it's spinning. I turn and see Garret and my father at my side. I smile.

"What are y'all doing just standing there? Give me a hug silly."

They both pull me into a bear hug. I laugh. "It's not like I was going to die. I mean Carter literally was by my side the whole time."

My smile slowly falls. "Where is he by the way.."

Garret smiles. "Oh he's right..." He turns and looks around. He mutters under his breath as runs back over to the well. "You have got to be kidding me!"

I begin to panic. "CAN'T YOU JUST TURN THE WELL OFF?!"

Garret shakes his head. His hands are in his hair as he paces around. "Somehow the hunters jammed up our systems and we can't turn the well off."

I run over and look into the dark well. "CARTER!!!"

........

GARROT POV

I look over at Cicily who screaming into the well. Her father is holding her back as she attempts to jump back in.

I look around. I know what I have to do... But I'm afraid. I look down into the well and remember holding my sister in my arms. Her pale skin dripping wet. I can stop this. I just need to not think about what I am about to do..

........

CICILY'S POV

I turn and look at Garret. I stop screaming. We stare at each for a moment and he rushes over and hugs me. Our eyes meet and I see a tear glisen in his eye.

Then everything seems to happen in slow motion. I see Garret take off his shirt and jump into the cold water. My father holds me back as realize what Garret's doing.

"GARRET NO! NO GARRET.. PLEASE DON'T! Please don't...."

I fall to my knees. Garret is sacrificing himself for Carter.

I watch as I see a body slowly float to the surface. I reach down and grab Carter.

I roll him over and begin to do CPR on him. At the same time I hope that Garret will resurface. Carter begins to cough. I hug him tightly, crying. Garret hasn't resurfaced.. he hasn't resurfaced.

An hour has gone by and noone can help him. It's suicide to anyone who jumps in. Finally the well is shut down. The vampires managed to turn it off now.

I look away as Garret's body floats to the top. Carter holds me in his arms, comforting me.

I hear a loud trumpet noise. Then another. Then another. Every corner of the town is going off with the trumpet.

Carter looks at me. "It's the signal that the Vampire King is dead."