#6 Sunday Afternoon "Just Peachy"

Start from the beginning

"My schedule got shifted," Lacey said with a sigh. "I'm on until two."

"Oh." The linen covered shoulders of Marie sagged.

"Do you want to come back?" Lacey asked hopefully.

"I have somewhere I need to be at two."

"You have plans?" Lacey sounded shocked as Marie rubbed the back of her neck. As she did so tendrils of loose hair rippled across her shoulders.

"You of all people know time isn't as arbitrary when you work. Especially when those you meet with don't share your sense of humor."

It was then that Lacey registered Marie's professional dress. A ankle length linen dress the color of wheat hung loose about her shoulders and hips. A contrast to Lacey's all black outfit. Metal earrings dangled from her lobes in abstract twists that tangled in her hair.

"You sound intimidated."

"I'm not."

Lacey wiped the counter free from crumbs. "If you say so."

There were a few chairs filled with patrons, quiet within their books and laptop screens. The two let the silence fill the pause as they allowed thoughts of their scuttled plans to wander away.

"Did you take my advice yet?" Marie started, resting her elbows on the finished wood.

"What? To harass a potential employer?"

Marie waved her hand. "I think you're paraphrasing, but yes."

"I had some things to deal with when I got home."

"Sounds like you're procrastinating."

"I did get rather good at it in college."

"Don't we all." Marie said wistfully. Her chin had come to rest on her palms as she listened to Lacey speak.

"Did you go to school here?"

"Nope, I went out East for a bit."

"Jeez," Lacey raised an eyebrow, finding herself leaning on the counter so that she was eye level with the coffee eyed girl. "That's a long way to travel."

"Figured I needed a change of scenery."

"Right, more rain just on a different coastline." Lacey teased thinking back to the day they met.

"It does remind me of home."

"You're from here then?"

"Born and raised. Thought I'd never come back, but life takes you in strange directions." She mused. "Things change."

"Mind elaborating on things?"

Marie paused. She squinted her eyes in thought summoning the crinkles like seagull tracks on a beach. "It's better to see than hear." She finally arrived at an answer. "I'll show you sometime."

Lacey tried to hold back her excitement. "Is that a promise?"

"I can put it in writing if you want." Marie's voice was deeper than before and Lacey's attention was drawn to how close their faces had become.

Inches away she could make out every fleck of black that faded into the overwhelming rich cocoa of her irises. Her eyes trailed down to Marie's lips. Subtle creases formed along the curves and Lacey felt the need to pull back.

She would do something stupid if she allowed herself to rest inches from the woman she'd known for less than a week. Surely gravity would play a role as Lacey inched closer.

It was much too soon, and Lacey had much too much on her plate.

Reluctantly she drew away. Straightening her posture she quipped. "I'd hope that'd be stronger than the promise regarding my umbrella."

Marie followed suit, effortlessly her dress needed little smoothing out as the wrinkles fell away. Unlike the soft linen material Lacey so wanted to touch, the starched apron bunched around her stomach and she squirmed to straighten it.

"Oh this again?" Marie tilted her head.

"It's been almost a week."

"It hasn't rained since then."

"And?"

Marie shrugged. "I won't remember unless it's raining."

"But then you'll need it."

Marie stuck out her bottom lip as she thought before drawing it back in. A daring smile playing at her lips the offset tooth poked out. "Then you'll have to walk me home sometime."

With a wink Lacey's beautiful companion, no longer a total stranger, walked out of the shop. 

I'm starting to think Lacey may never get her umbrella back ... 

Hope y'all enjoy, vote & comment ! xoo