#5 Wednesday Afternoon "Many Hats"

An hour later Lacey was granted a fifteen minute break. The crowd had since died down, leaving half of the tables occupied by student and young professionals with their faces stuck in their computers.

Gravitating to her usual spot Lacey popped a piece of old banana bread in her mouth while firing up the new job hiring app she'd downloaded that morning.

"That looks like a well rounded lunch." The voice startled Lacey and she nearly dropped the piece of sugary bread.

"A serving of fruit and carbs - I like to multi task." She jeered attempting to regain her composure as the woman took the seat across from her.

"I'll make sure to write that down." Her eyes wandered from the crumbling bread to Lacey's face.

Feeling heat rise to her cheeks Lacey changed the subject. "How long have you been here?" She asked, though she already knew the answer.

Lacey knew exactly how long it'd been since she'd sold the bear claw. She'd made a point to look at the clock the moment the woman left her sight. Still, she wanted to hear her say it.

Had she been waiting for Lacey to get off?

"I couldn't tell ya."

"Right, I forgot. Time is arbitrary."

The woman chuckled and looked away. For a brief moment she allowed her dark eyes to scan the shop, as if she'd never seen the mocha painted walls or the lines of mugs that wrapped around the ceiling.

"So how's the job hunt going?" The question came out of nowhere and Lacey found herself startled again.

"What?"

A clicking sound brought Lacey's attention to her phone as the woman tapped the bright screen. "Is this fine establishment not treating you well?"

Lacey laughed though she found herself instinctively bringing her phone closer to her chest as she locked it. "I do get complimentary meals." She held up the bread.

"What more could you ask for?" The woman cocked an eyebrow.

That was when Lacey's smile faded. There was so much more she thought. So much more that she should have gotten to by now.

"I can't stay here forever." She said, her voice growing soft.

"What's the plan then? I know you have one."

The question hurt Lacey as it fell from her companion's lips.

For the first time in her life Lacey didn't have a plan. She had, at one point.

Find a job - no later than one year out of college. Move to a nicer apartment, maybe get a cat. But here she was, weeks away from her deadline with no prospects and soon no roof over her head - never mind the cat.

Sensing her hesitation in the growing silence the woman reached out her hand. "How many jobs have you applied for?"

Lacey grimaced. "Three."

"Only three?" She tried to hide the shock behind her brown eyes as they widened.

"Is that bad?"

"How long've you been looking?"

Lacey looked at the banana bread as she picked at the hardened crust. "Since I graduated."

"This semester?"

"Well..."

"Last year?"

"It's bad, I know." Lacey tried to shrug it off, wanting to put the conversation behind them.