#6 Sunday Afternoon "Just Peachy"

Noon couldn't roll around quick enough as Lacey busied herself at the shop. Sunday's held a different vibe than weekdays. Everyone seemed to move to a different time, one that ticked slower and allowed people to breathe.

Lacey stood alone behind the counter, leaning from side to side as she waited for the minutes to tick by. At a quarter to her boss - who was supposed to take over the afternoon shift - burst through the door. The little bell hardly had time to announce her presence before she addressed Lacey.

Her stocky body seemed slumped as she sighed audibly.

"Tommy is sick." Lacey's boss Tanya began the sentence in a flat tone.

Over the year, Lacey had known her boss to be fair, kind, a mother of three, and absolutely devoted to the Split Bean. Tanya worked behind the scenes mostly, but Sundays - typically the afternoons - she worked the counter. It was her way of staying in touch with the "heart of the shop" as she put it. She adored the work, and often reminisced about how she missed spending most of her time behind the counter rather than a desk.

That was why when Lacey met the tired eyes of her usually bubbly boss, she knew she wasn't clocking out on time.

"Is Jim still at work?" Lacey asked of Tanya's husband, a quiet man who was perfectly suited to his job at the public library.

"He's taking off but can't leave until 2." Tanya grimaced and Lacey knew where this was headed.

"I can stay."

A weary smile illuminated Tanya's face. The family lived right above the shop, but it was clear that the one story flight of stairs had taken a toll on her.

"I owe you."

"Tell Tommy I said 'hi'." Lacey managed a smile thinking of the seven year old with bushy hair and a love for helicopters.

"I will," Tanya paused. "And I'll be here at 2."

Lacey nodded and watched her boss exit the front door. So much for date with Marie - it was a date wasn't it?

Of course it was. Lacey practically thumped her head against the counter. Shit. She hadn't put any effort into dressing up she thought as she looked down at her usual uniform of a black t-shirt and jeans covered by her apron. Her hair was tied back in it's usual work pony tail.

Would they stay here? Marie had asked her to save a seat, and of course Tanya wouldn't mind, but didn't that make it less of a date?

She frowned. Not that Lacey had any money to go anywhere. At least here she could get free drinks and sweets. She doubted her card would be accepted anywhere and the thought of getting declined while out to lunch made her stomach do flips.

Why hadn't she thought of this last night?

Almost immediately Lacey recalled her late night at the shop and her terrified walk home in the dark - one of many. The moment she got home she'd flopped onto her bed, exhausted she slept in her clothes. Come to think of it, the same outfit she wore today.

Just peachy.

Lacey was about to go in search of some deodorant in the backroom when the bell chimed.

"Lace I thought you'd be guarding our table." Marie entered, her hands in the air with fake outrage.

Lacey raised an eyebrow. "Our?"

"Well I'm sure you've got your name inscribed on it somewhere since you're there so often." She shrugged and as she neared the counter Lacey felt her hands begin to tremble.