Chapter Twenty-Four

Twenty-Four

"Look here, I'm wearing a Dani original. Do you think this dress will look good with my baby blue flats?"

Mom and I were getting ready for a town wedding, one of which Kimmy had invited us to. I didn't want to go, but Mom was faster than me when the mail came in.

"I think the dress looks great, but wear your black heels." I sat on her bed as she played dress up in front of me. Her bed was much better than mine, with a million fluffy pillows and an artsy, mirrored bedframe that extended the length of the wall. I could fall asleep in it if it weren't for my mother's loud mouth.

"Great."

"Do I have to go?"

"Yes, you have to go. You have...oh, shoot. Someone's at the door."

The doorbell continuously rang and I was forced to get up while my mother got ready. I was already dressed, a sparkly, gold dress with open tresses. I paired it with a deep red lip, hair curled to one side, and beautiful chandelier earrings. Although my outfit may have appeared pretty, I was the least bit elegant as I drug myself across the hardwood floor to answer the door.

The doorbell rang again before I had a chance to answer it. I rushed forward, trying to run in heels.

"I'm coming, hold on!"

I opened the door to save my ears another ring, noticing Laurie Nguyen in the doorway.

I took a step back, making sure she didn't take a swing, and took a good look to make sure it was really her.

"Can I come in?" She asked.

I moved out of the way without a word, letting her walk inside.

I followed her into the living room, watching as she found herself a place on the couch.

"You look pretty." She said, gesturing at my dress.

"Thank you. I'm being forced to go to a wedding with Mom."

"Ouch. Hopefully you don't ruin this one." She smiled slightly, not afraid to bring up my sketchy past of destructiveness.

"No promises; the wedding hasn't started yet." We both laughed.

"Listen, Dani, I'm sorry for yelling at you and starting a big fight. Everything you said about me was right. I didn't care about breaking up with Mitch, and I really didn't want him back for a real relationship. What I said to you was awful."

"I said some awful things, too. I should have told you the truth from the beginning. You should know I never would have let things escalate between Mitch and me if I thought for a second you still liked him."

"I know that, and I've been knowing it since the beginning. I was more hurt you didn't tell me about it. I'm your best friend and I want to know these things. I was honestly jealous Brett knew about your love life and I didn't."

"Again, I should have told you." I said.

"It's alright; there's still plenty of time for you to tell me about the two of you. Now that I've cooled off and realize what a biotch I was, you can tell me everything." She patted the seat next to her, and I sat down.

"There's not much to tell as of late. I haven't been seeing him."

"What? Why? Please do not tell me you've been staying away because of me."

"Well..."

"Dani! I can't believe this. Ugh, I feel so bad! And you were planning to go this wedding with your mother and no date by your side in that smoking hot dress! We need to fix this pronto. I am going to bring you to Mitch's house myself if I have to! I might suck at break ups, but I am a master at getting with a man! Chop, chop, we've got a man to catch!"