Chapter Twenty

Twenty

I managed to ignore my mother for the remainder of the night after my rendevous to the movies, keeping myself busy to the wee hours of the night with overpriced coffee and sewing a couple of shirts. As expected, the questions started to stir the very next morning when I was eating my waffles in silence, or rather, played with my waffles. It was only a matter of time until my mother's worrisome nature gave way.

"You were out late last night. Were you with that boy?" Mom wiggled her eyebrows.

"No, I was not. I went to the movies last night and stopped for a coffee. I'm sorry I was out so late." I said.

"Oh no, it's alright. Are you seeing Mitch today? You've been spending so much time with him as of late. Things between you two are going pretty fast, and you really seem to like him, am I right?" She had no idea how much I wanted to grab our extra super Gorilla glue from the draw and drizzle a line inbetween her lips. She was not making my day go by any easier.

"No, I'm not seeing him today." I murmured, keeping my answer short.

Apparently my mother couldn't get the hint, her questions coming back for another swing at my broken heart.

"I saw the design for your Dressing with Dani shop. That boy is really talented and I'm surprised he's not pursuing his talent on a broader scale."

"That's what I said." Another grumpy reply coming from me. She meant well, but she hadn't a clue the pain I was enduring as of late.

"Dani, is everything alright? You're distant this morning, and you barely ate any of your breakfast, which in your iron stomach's case, is not normal. Did you fall sick again?" She reached across the table to feel my forehead for any sign of illness, but none was recorded.

"No, Mom, I'm not sick again. I think I just need some air, maybe take a drive." She was suffocating me, if anything, and I needed to get some fresh air.

I walked to my car only to see that my car was almost out of gas. Not wanting to stop at the gas station, I took a walk instead, deciding I would put gas in my car when I cooled off a bit.

I walked onto the sidewalk, careful not to let the oncoming of cars and pickup trucks hit me. A few cars whipped by, the sudden jolts of air swiping small curls of hair into my face. I tried to take the strands away from my eyes, my sore hands shaking from overworking on my clothing designs. Or maybe I was still trembling from Mitch's last caress. Who knows?

I eventually made it to my spot on the cement bench at the cemetery, visiting Reese once again.

"Multiple visits in one month. You must think I've gone crazy, huh, Reese? Well, I do think I've gone crazy, too. I have made so many mistakes since I've been here, so many things I can't take back. Would you like to know something, though? I think I'm owning up to those mistakes, and the mistakes of others around me. I've learned not to walk away anymore, and the sudden need to run back to California is far behind me. If anything, I think that in itself is an accomplishment. Oh, and I wanted to tell you I'm starting my own business very soon, something you encouraged me to do, but I'm sure you've had your hand in that dream wherever you are. Besides your positive review to the the big guy upstairs, I've gotten some much  needed help along the way; Mom is so supportive, and so is Mitch Moncotto, can you believe it? Well, everything was great until yesterday. I'm sure you've been watching and you know how badly things turned out between Laurie and me. Hey, I survived my first real girl fight without getting slapped, much more than I can say for you with your ex-girlfriends! Anyway, I just came to vent to you, tell you how much we miss you, and tell Dad we miss him, too. I'll be visiting again soon and will bring some new flowers for the both of you."