Fight and Flight

A/N: TW: Virgil vomits at the start real quick. Mentions of blood.

Thomas woke, bleary eyed and - if possible - more tired than when he had gone to sleep. He stretched out, then collapsed again into the warmth of his sheets.

~

Virgil couldn't hold back anymore. He rocked forward onto his knees and vomited into the bush in front of him, Tristan shakily rubbing his back.

"Hey, hey it's okay...just let it out. You're fine, we're here, it's okay..." Tristan had a soft voice, if a little unsure in his tone. Having a form had made him lose the ability to connect with Virgil mentally and emotionally, and he was less confident in how to help Virgil best because of it.

"I'm-I'm sorry." Virgil coughed, his throat aching.

"It's no trouble, just let it out..."

"No, I'm sorry I didn't tell the others."

Tristan sighed. He hadn't really had a chance to talk with Virgil since he had formed. He looked over to the other three, who were apart from them, discussing what to do with the body.

"It's okay - "

"It's not okay! Roman nearly turned you into a shish-kebab, just like - " Virgil groaned, and the next dry-heave caused him to lose his balance. Tristan caught him before Virgil fell face-first into the now foul bush and hugged him tight.

"I was right about you looking like a nerd though..." Virgil mumbled, as ever trying to deflect and underplay a stressful moment.

Roman glanced at them uneasily, having noticed the movement. They ceased their discussion and moved to join them. They all looked a right sight in their bloody clothing - Roman not daring to risk using his creative powers to clean them up.

Tristan made sure Virgil's eyes were shut and his hoodie pulled up - the last thing Virgil needed to see was an image of the other three covered in blood.

"We need to get Virgil home." Logan said carefully, trying not to let any hint of tension or unease slip into his tone.

"But, the effort of teleportation - "

"We're not safe here." Roman looked grim, and more than a little scared.

It clicked for the others - if Virgil...died...in the dreamscape...

Logan didn't want to think about it.

"Do you know how to get to the back of the mind?" Tristan asked suddenly. Virgil had always felt pretty good there.

Logan frowned, as he felt the pieces all click into place.

"I suppose that explains the last month or so." He said quietly. "Virgil has been hanging out at the back of the mind with you, and therefore his effect was muffled for Thomas."

"He was sick before that though." Tristan whispered, stroking Virgil's hair gently.

They lapsed into silence for a few moments.

The hair on the back of Roman's neck started to stand up.

The ground began to shake: great cracks were growing and spreading rapidly through the dome.

None of them had time to react.

The dome exploded, and Roman, Patton, and Logan were all thrown back by the shock wave. Tristan and Virgil stayed put, slightly more sheltered huddled on the ground as they were.