***

"Wrap it around that branch – oh my god, can you just listen to me for once?!" Nick rolls his eyes in agitation, pointing to a branch that I clearly can't reach.

"Push me up higher so I can actually reach it then!" I kick his arm, making him cry out in shock and glare at me.

He grumbles under his breath and pushes me up higher so that I reach the branch and successfully wrap it around this time. Nick helps me steady myself so I can sit on a strong part of the tree to continue wrapping the rest of the lights.

It takes us a long time to get the bigger trees in our garden decorated but we manage and within an hour, we have the front garden ready to be lit at night. Nick throws the box at me, telling me to catch it before running into the house, leaving me to follow after him.

We meet our parents in the kitchen where they are finishing up the last bit of decorations. The banister of the staircase is decorated with leaves and lights and there are lanterns placed on each step. I see two reindeer, made out of wires and lights, positioned by the stairs. As I walk through the hallway there are fairy lights and gold stars hanging above the dresser, a gingerbread house underneath it.

I open the door to see that my mother has decorated the kitchen a little less than the rest of the house but regardless it looks lovely. She notices me as I walk in and sends me a warm smile, asking me what I think. I tell her I love it before helping her finish up the last pieces.

"Anyone up for the Christmas Market tonight?" Nick asks, leaning against the counter and munching on some crisps.

"Oh yes! The Light Festival is on also, you guys are just on time!" Mum replies excitedly whilst Dad nods.

We agree to head out now as it is seven in the evening and it's quite dark out. I quickly finish up in the kitchen before rushing upstairs to get changed into a warmer outfit. It's quite cold outside so I put on a sweater, my coat, jeans and boots before grabbing my scarf and hat. My gloves are already in my coat since this morning when Nick and I went shopping so I could just take them out whenever my hands become cold.

"Come on, let's go!" I hear Nick yell dramatically as I make my way downstairs.

We're going to the Museum Square in Amsterdam which turns into the Christmas Village in December. The pond turns into an amazing, long ice rink that I cannot wait to go on. There is also traditional food and drinks to try such as mulled wine and hot chocolate.

My family and I have been going to the Christmas Village and the Amsterdam Light Festival every year since we moved here and it's one of the many things I love about this holiday. The Light Festival is where the city of Amsterdam lights up with sculptures, projections and art installations along roads, squares and canals. There are tours throughout the city and boat rides which take you along the canals and the river Amstel to see the art.

Because many of the light artwork is installed above the canal and by the river Amstel, we always take a cruise. It only takes around an hour and my father and Nick like to enjoy mulled wine or winter apple punch during it. I personally go with hot chocolate every year but this time Nick is determined that I try out the wine.

We pile into Dad's car and I take out my phone to send Kaden a text whilst he reverses the car and pulls out onto the road. I have been updating him on what I have been doing along with asking him what he has been up to. We message each other regularly throughout the day and I always call him just before bed so I can hear his voice.