13 - Dress-Stress 👗😥

🙋🏻‍♀️ - Areena's POV
🗓️ - October 20, 2022

---

I woke up early that morning because it was the most important day. The CEO of The Shimmer Pvt. Ltd. would officially announce our collaboration on a new project, and he had organized a big gathering party to celebrate. Although I had attended many such parties before, this time I felt particularly nervous. Maybe it was because I would be in the spotlight, or perhaps it was just a gut feeling that something significant would happen that day.

"Come on, Areena, think positive!" I tried to cheer myself up. I had met The Shimmer's CEO earlier; he had treated me well and even told me to call him Uncle. Despite his kindness, I still felt uneasy. After my experience with Abid, I found it hard to trust people easily, especially those who were overly sweet.

I checked the important papers for the agreement one more time. My last concern was my dress. I wasn't very good with fashion, but since I would be the center of attention, I wanted everything to be perfect. I had called Sara, who had married Bhai the previous month, to help me choose my dress. I didn’t want to disturb their honeymoon phase, but Sara had been super excited and insisted on helping me.

I was at Phoenix City Mall, waiting for Sara. She had promised to meet me there at noon, but it was already 1 PM, and there was still no sign of her. I had lots of memories of that place. Abid and I mostly met there. I still remembered the day when he had hit someone so badly just because that person had held me. I really didn't understand how a person couldn't be in love with you but be possessed about you. I ordered a coffee and sat down in the sitting area when my phone rang.

"Soo sorry, darling... I'm here now. Where are you?" Sara's voice chirped.

I replied, "I'm on the fourth floor at Evergreen Coffee Shop."

Sara thought I was angry, but I wasn't. I understood she was newly married, and I knew Bhai loved her so much that he didn't want her to leave his side. Someone tapped on my shoulder, and I turned to see Sara, looking more beautiful than ever.

Love truly makes people glow.

She hugged me tightly, and I responded in kind. I had missed her. We drank our coffee, chatted a lot, and then headed to the world of dresses. Sara wanted me to try on so many dresses, and it was almost 4:30 PM and I was totally exhausted.

"This is the 43rd dress, Sara. I'm tired now," I complained.

"Baby, try this one. You will look fabulous in it," she insisted.

"No, it's enough. I'm not trying on anything else. Just select from these," I pleaded.

Finally, Sara chose a light pink off-shoulder gown for me. I also picked a dress for her as she was going on her honeymoon the following week. I paid for the purchases, and as we were leaving, I accidentally bumped into someone running with a lot of bags. Everything fell to the floor.

"Don't you have eyes, mister?" Sara asked angrily.

"I'm really sorry, ma'am... I am..." he stammered.

"What sorry? Is this a place for jogging?" Sara shouted.

"It's okay, Sara. Don't be so angry. It's fine," I intervened, trying to calm the situation.

"I'm really sorry, ma'am," he repeated, his eyes filled with fear.

"It's okay," I said, picking up the bags. He gathered his things and left.

It was 6 PM by the time I reached home. After buying accessories for my dress, Sara made me promise to send her pictures once I was ready. I took a shower and let my hair dry naturally. I pulled out the dress, but my face went pale. It was red instead of the pink one Sara had chosen. This wasn’t my dress!

"Ya Allah, where is my dress?" I searched everywhere, but it was gone. Then, I remembered the incident at the mall.

"Oh God, why did this have to happen today?" After all the effort, I had lost the dress.

Now what should I wear?

My eyes fell on the red dress. It was an off-shoulder gown with a lacy touch, and it was beautiful. I had no other choice.

"I'm sorry, Sara, and to whoever this dress was meant for," I thought as I quickly put it on. I applied a little makeup, styled my hair in a messy bun, and paired the dress with black heels.

I took one last look at myself in the mirror.

"It's showtime!"

---

Thank You for Reading ❤️