Chapter 16 So Close

(The many years that followed included many more dates, adventures and the rare near death situation.) *4 years later Rose and Kiba 'Both now holding the rank of Jounin' are on a surveillance mission with Kakashi.

Rose's P.O.V

Walking down the dirt path: "You know i think Tsunade just wanted to get us out of the village."

Kiba had his hands behind his head as he walked: "Yeah, she probably figured with Naruto back from training we'd be causing a lot of trouble and pulling pranks."

Kakashi, with his hands in his pockets, sighed: "You all probably would to..."

: "You know it. We can just get her back by stealing her sake when we get back."

Kiba tilted his head: "You got a death wish or something. I mean stealing her sake is like stealing choji's chips."

Kakashi: "And just how per say do you know where her sake is?"

*nervous laugh: "Hehe, i caught her drinking one time when i walked in to report a mission. I saw exactly where she put the bottle back..along with the rest of her collection."

Kiba stumbled almost falling: "Hey,..what's ...what's happening?" His legs gave out from underneath him.

I ran over to him: "Kiba! What's wrong! Hey, answer me!"

*Thump* Looking behind me Kakashi had collapsed as well.

: "What's going on here?!?" A figure emerged from the trees. He pushed his glasses up with a sick smile. "Oh, you've got to be kidding me. Not you again."

Kakashi's P.O.V

As i lay on the ground, unable to move, a familiar enemy approached from behind the tree line. 'Genjustu huh,' I looked over at Rose. Her eyes widened for a split second, but narrowed as she glared at him.

My throat could barely speak: "Kabuto Yakushi,.."

Kiba's P.O.V

'Kabuto, that four eyed teme' I was only able to catch a glimpse of the beginning of the fight: "damn it.."

I don't know how much time had passed, but when i came to all i could see was Rose standing a few feet in front of us facing away from us. Blood was everywhere.

Rose slowly looked over her shoulder: "You finally awake sleepy head?" She smiled as i struggled to sit up. "Good." She stepped back bringing a hand up to her head.

Forcing my body to stand: "Are you alright?"

Kakashi stepped forward slightly reaching out: "Rose?"

She coughed out a huge amount of blood and shakily turned around: "Sorry..guys.."

I swear i heard Kakashi gasp, although it could have been just me, Rose was holding her side, her shirt stained red, blood still slipping past her fingers. She tried to smile, but her legs gave out.

Before i knew what i was doing, i had dove forward and caught her in my arms. Carefully turning her over: "What happened?"

Rose kinda glared at me: "What do you think? I just fought against a highly skilled medical ninjustu user." A frown crossed my face. "Now if..you do.don't mind..i'm gonna..pass..out."

I shook her, maybe a little to roughly, her face scrunched in pain: "No! Don't Die on me here!"

Rose: "I'm..not..*cough cough* going..to die."

shaking my head, i wiped away the red liquid dripping from her lips: "Just look at all this blood."

Forcing a smile on her face, Rose lifted her left hand and though it was covered in blood, i could still see the promise ring i had given to her the year before: "You should know better than any..*cough*..anyone. That when..when i make..a pro..mise.."

Her hand fell down across her stomach, her body slowly loosing it's warmth. Sadly i looked at her eyes, unfocused and half closed, a single tear slid down my cheek as i whispered: "You keep it."