~ Chapter 24 ~

Noriko could only stand in her spot frozen, her eyes shadowed by her hair and her hand clenched around her weapon, but it gradually moved back to her side again. A tear streamed down her face, dripping onto the ground and soon, many more followed after.

Winter and Arata were surprised, not expecting this reaction from her or see her like this in their lifetime, ever. She was not exactly the type to cry, not unless it was about something very important to her. 

A strained sob had escaped the girl's lips, a hand on her eye as she attempted to wipe away the tears. The dragon looked at her sympathetically, head butting her gently in attempt to comfort her. 

"Don't cry, Noriko. You're confusing your Second Tamer Beast and your Bonded or rather, my partner."

"Shut up," muttered the black-haired female.

She pushed the dragon's head away, looking away and trying to compose herself once more before she embarrassed herself more than needed.

"I don't need to hear that from you. You've got a lot of explaining to do." 

Her back was facing her confused friends and the dragon, her hands wiping away the trickling tears. Arata felt awkward, opening his mouth in hopes that he could say some words that would defeat the tension in the area.

He said, "So um... You're my Tamer Beast?"

The griffin snorted, recovering from her shock about her Tamer crying over something, or someone.

"Is that all you have to say? Isn't it pretty obvious? Stupid prince."

'Toyotomi' looked at Arata, then laid down on his stomach and stared at the redheaded prince before him.He remained silent towards him, at least, that's what it seemed like towards Noriko and Winter.

'I can't tell you that, not until you have proven yourself worthy.'

Worthy?

'Not all Tamer Beasts have to be partnered with their Tamers, you have to prove yourself worthy, otherwise I'll leave you to rot and return to my abode, Prince.'

The tone that the dragon had used surprised Arata, it was not the same tone that he had used with Noriko. It was stern, firm and almost mocking even, like he was being tested.

'Tell me your answer, Prince. I know you've been pondering this question for a very long time and I'm sure you had plenty of time to think of an answer.'

Huh?

'Why do you protect Maho?'

Arata's world just seem to freeze as he thought about the answer, his mind spinning with random words that just didn't seem to fit together. He tried many times to find the words he needed, but for some odd reason, he couldn't find any. Suddenly, his mind slipped back to a time where he had talked to his father, to his friends, to everyone he had met... But most importantly, Noriko.

---

"How was your trip?" she asks. "Was it worth the while?... Did you find your answer?"

Arata nodded in response to her question.

"All of you... The King, the Military, you fight because you want to. No one's forcing you to do it."

She remained silent, waiting for him to continue.

"You have all your own reasons, but in the end, it's because you all want to do it. You want to protect this Kingdom because it's the Kingdom, your home, our home... It's everyone's home."