Two

Jennifer:

After a long and unnecessary speech, that teacher finally left and I had no clue what exactly he was supposed to be teaching us. Meanwhile, I had noticed what a litterbug my neighbor was when he threw a piece of crumpled up paper that hit his backpack then ended up hitting the floor. It was probably some nasty picture or joke he'd drawn but I wondered why he hadn't shared it with the rest of the class.

 A couple of hours later I'd gone through number of other lessons with some more sensible and professional teachers, it was break time; a time I always regarded as a time to unwind alone, given all the frustrations of learning.

 On that day I had a voracious appetite and I was especially looking forward to becoming one with a delicious sandwich. I entered the cafeteria and spotted an empty lunch table where I then sat down. I opened my backpack and took out a bottle of juice and a grilled cheese sandwich. I didn't really like cafeteria food, I preferred bringing a packed lunch. 

I did not mind sitting at the table alone, sad as this may seem, because as an only child I'd learnt to enjoy my own company. Also the fact that I had been home schooled my entire life meant I had zero social skills. I was open to the idea of people  joining me at my table but I preferred being alone. I gorged on my sandwich like no one was watching.

 Like a shark swallowing a fish, I took nearly half the entire sandwich out with one bite. Some of the cheese dripped over my fingers and I started licking them one by one. I was a little proud of myself because that was the best sandwich I'd made in a long time. I looked around for a bit. I saw smiling faces, happy faces, heard laughs as other people were enjoying their time with their friends while I was sitting alone. 

Just then I saw that guy, walking towards my table. Licking my fingers turned into chewing on me already super short finger nails. I felt like a deer under headlights, uncertain what to do. Not because I fancied him in any way, but because ... I still didn't know his name. Then when I saw him greeting his friends who were seated at a table behind me, I felt a great sense of relief. 

Jason:

So at lunch I went to the cafeteria and my friends were already waiting for me. Someone had already bought me juice, a burger and a fruit , the typical lunch for any guy. But I was not just any guy to these people. I was their Jason, either their friend or the guy they hope will be their future lover. Sometimes I really did feel like they worshiped the ground I walked on. Kim, Nicki, Sarah, Joel, Jules, the two Sams - Samantha and Samuel then me. 

Those were the members of the so-called 'cool table'. I did not care what they called it. As long as I had a place to sit and eat my food. There were recurring topics of discussion everyday. The girls would mostly gossip and talk about fashion and whatever, for the guys it was cars, sports and hot girls. I sat between Kim and Nicki who were both always fighting for my attention. 

"Do you like the lunch I got you Jason?'' said Nicki as she batted her eyes at me and glared at Kim smugly. 

"Well I would have bought it for you but she beat me to it I'm sorry", said Kim said, batting her false eyelashes at me. 

"It's OK Kim, and thank you Nicki", I smiled at both of them. Sarah sat at the other side of the table just watching. She was not competing in the 'win Jason's heart competition' because she and Samuel were an item. They were sitting next to each other. 

"O...M...G, did any of you guys see that new girl?" Sarah began a new topic. Kim and Nicki shook their heads. I chewed on my burger, listening to their idle chatter. They didn't seem to care that the girl they were talking about was right behind us.  "You haven't ? Come on! The one with the blonde hair and black shorts?" Sarah asked. 

"Oh her", Kim yelled. "Look how she's sitting there alone, so pathetic".

"I know right?" Nicki chimed in. 

I looked over Sarah's shoulder and saw Jennifer. She was having a sandwich like a rabbit nibbling on a carrot and she had both pinkies in the air. It was kinda cute.  She seemed happy and content with her own being, unlike me. 

I had always valued my self by looking at the number of people I had round me, I wondered what it would be like to just be content with one's own company. 

"Her name is Jennifer", I said. They all looked at me with puzzled expressions.

"How do you know that?" Sarah asked.

"We're both in Johnson's class. I think I'll go talk to her, make her  feel a little more comfy here", I sipped my juice then stood up from the table. 

"Dude, you can't go there. She'll get the wrong idea", said Jules.

"The wrong idea about what?" I asked. None of them could answer me. I took one more sip of juice and I was off. 

I started to think of ways to start a conversation with her, ways that would not seem too forward but still get my message across. Wait, what message? I wondered if I was really interested in getting to know a girl like her, very outlandish and maybe shy. 

She wasn't exactly my type, but my past relationships hadn't exactly gone well had they? When I got to her table she looked up at me and I got flustered. I was no longer sure what to do and in the nick of time, Joel and Jules came to me.

"Dude, we told you to forget about this, just let her be alone", Jules said. 

"You know you're right", I agreed then we left and went back to the 'cool table'.