The Driver

"A Ms. Perry Muller, please."

The speakers in the lab boomed with the voice of a bored woman. I looked down at my lap, gathered my purse, and wandered into the mysterious room at the end of the receptionists' area. I seemed to forget to breathe as I opened the heavy doors. The white room and fluorescent lights blinded me. I sat at the chair in the center, staring nervously at the window. The emotionless expressions of the people in the window in front of me stared back.

"What's your power?" the speakers blared.

"I wish I had one, but I was unlucky enough to be born in the city," I lied and gulped. Will they believe me?

I heard whispering. I took a deep breath. Maybe it's already the end for me. Maybe they won't believe me. God, I've come so far, only to be taken now? Here? I was so tired. I could give up now, I think. My whole body ached, using my power only a few days earlier. How much did I push it? Too far, that's it.

As far back as history would go, humans have been born with powers. Small things. Like making it hotter. Making it a bit colder. Making you run a bit faster. Most people did things like that. Most people didn't care enough to actually train their power, make it blazing hot. Make it freezing cold. Make you run at the speed of light. Not a lot of people were prepared to train for that. Some people, however, got nothing. Nada. These people were born in cities, or sometimes the powers just didn't develop. That was rare. I was born somewhere else. Why I was born there, I didn't kno-

"I'm sorry, Ms, but we don't think that's quite right." The mysterious men interrupted my thoughts.

Of course they didn't believe me. Nowadays, most people deliberately have their babies in those special places. Only around 5, 6 percent of people didn't have powers. Of course the government knew my parents were fucking hippies. They would never had a baby where their child couldn't catch a power. The government has been watching us for years. Why wouldn't they know that? They knew everything. Well, almost.

I shifted uneasily in my seat. Suddenly, my body broke out in sweat.

"What? Of course it's true." Wow, how convincing, I thought. Now they'll certainly take me away.

"We know who you are, Ms. Muller. We know who your parents were," they boomed. "Now, where were you born?" they finally asked.

Well, at least they still believed the name.

"I already said the city. New York, New York. Great place to live, you know?" I pretended to chuckle, trying to lighten the mood. I acted calm, but who could be in the middle of this? They were seeing right through me. "Like I said, I don't have any powers. I wish I did." I added.

Silence. More whispering. The scientists turned away for a moment. Now could be my escape. Could I outrun them? I knew I had no chance to use my power. I was just too tired. Maybe if I-

"Alright, fine. Ms. Muller, you're allowed to leave. Please exit through the same doors you came from." they dismissed me. Finally. I stood, a little dizzy, and walked out. I closed my eyes for a moment and once again took a few deep breaths. I guess I was lucky this time. Ready, I opened my eyes.

Two burly men in black suits stood before me. Embarrassed, I got out the way. They were probably trying to get in while I was in front of the door. Something seemed off about them, though. Were they watching me? I always had these feelings, I thought, I was always paranoid. It was sometimes a good trait, oftentimes bad. I walked out the lab's doors. Fresh air at last. Well, as fresh as air could be in New York. I tiredly hailed a taxi.

"Hey, Brooklyn, please." I told the messy blond, young taxi driver.

"Hello to you, too. Brooklyn's a long way from here. What'sa pretty young thing like you doing 'round here, anyways? The lab's only for heros, or the team, whatever they call them these days" he replied.

"Oh, I have the money for Brooklyn," I said, ignoring the 'pretty young thing' comment. "I wish I knew why they called me here. They would have fined me if I didn't, though."

"Hm. Well, they musta had a reason," he muttered before we were off.

I thought about what he said. What was that about the team? Heroes? I didn't know, but I was much too tired to ask. My eyes fluttered to a close as I dozed off in the back seat.