Chapter Fourteen: 2000

November 13th 

November 13th 

Manhattan, New York 

Breathe

The open air almost suffocated her.

Her lungs were not used to such invasion. To such freedom.

How long as it been since she has breathed.

Since her body did not coil and surrender.

Over her shoulder, she could see the leech, parasite. Stalking her, never letting her truly breathe.

She paid it no mind. Gazed at the buildings, revealed in the beauty of this majestic city.

Never has confusion been so beautiful, so appealing. Too many people stalked the streets, her years of solitude found it relaxing. This disorder in her overly orderly word.

They entered the grocery store, the leech grabbed a pulley.

A large variety of food adorned the shelves, everything one could possibly want or desire.

She looked at the list and pushed the cart that she managed to take from her parasites.

Her eyes not focused on her surroundings, body not alert.

She came to a sudden stop. A groan rang her ears.

A body of muscles stood in her path. An impressive specimen, tall and majestic like the city they were in. 

She looked up at the creature, fear already wrapping himself around her veins. Constricting. Suffocating. 

He smiled. Bright, bold, beautiful. She had never seen anything like it. 

For the first time, she was not paralyzed with fear. Her body tensed in awe, in surprise. 

"You look like a deer caught in the headlights" His voice was a grumble, a growl, threatening but soft. 

"che cosa?" 

"Ah un Italiano. Ho detto niente preoccupazioni, nessun danno fatto, non sembrare così triste " 

"Sì, mi dispiace. Posso pagare per eventuali danni" She was unhinged, thrown off focus. "Come le tue uova"

He chuckled. The sound vibrated in his chest and warmed her cheeks. 

"Le mie uova stanno bene."  He shifted his basket "Sono James"

She stared at him with wide eyes. He had his hands extended, long delicate fingers pointing towards her. 

Was she meant to take his hands in hers? Is this how the Americanos greet women? 

She did. She forgot about the leeches at her back, the ice beneath her skin. His hands engulfed hers, made her feel small but not fear. How strange. 

"Contessina" 

"Beautiful" 

She bowed her head and steered her cart away. 

It wasn't until she was sitting in the confines of the SUV did she realize what she was doing. 

Her cheeks ached, heartbeat quickened. 

Her face was brightened, she was smiling.  For the first time in a long time. 

Translations

" Ah un Italiano. Ho detto niente preoccupazioni, nessun danno fatto, non sembrare così triste"

  "Ah an Italian. I said no worries, no harm done, do not look so sad"

  "Sì, mi dispiace. Posso pagare per eventuali danni" ~ Yes I'm sorry. I can pay for any damages  

  "Come le tue uova" ~Like your eggs 

 "Le mie uova stanno bene"  ~My eggs are fin eggs are fine