Prologue

"Quiet tonight," Dad observed out loud. He watched for deer just in case they decided to pop out for a midnight stroll. He was picking me up from a friends house.

"Just tired," I murmured, sinking back in my chair.

"Your mom says hi and wanted me to tell you she loves you,"

I rolled my eyes and hoped that would be the end of this conversation.

"She wants you to spend the weekend with her,"

"If she wanted to spend time with me then she shouldn't have left," I snapped. My voice dripped venom. I promised myself I would never forgive her for leaving me and dad for a guy five years younger than her. I would never forgive the look on my dad's face when he found out she was cheating on him and wanted to leave him so she could remarry. They decided to stay in town to be close to me, but I didn't care if they moved to the other side of the world. Because as long as I had a say I never wanted to go over there. She tried to go to court but after the judge heard everything then after what I had to say about it, well, Dad got full custody of me.

"You can't avoid her forever," Dad said

"Watch me,"I replied

"Fine at least text her and tell her,"

I nodded and pulled out my phone.

Hi not coming over, night

Simple, vague and cold just like I wanted. I pressed send and looked back up, just in time for me to see a man standing on the road. I didn't even have tine to scream before dad swerved the car and crashed into a tree.

When I woke up I was so cold and I could feel the freezing, hard flooring. I sat up and remembered everything. I started to freak out when I heard it. The awful slurping sound, I looked to the corner where it was coming from. I instantly realized I was in a cement box. My only source of light was the moon which streamed through a small narrow hallway. The moonlight was peaceful until I saw the blood red eyes, blood dripping from the corner of his mouth, which slowly turned into a villainess smile. Vampire! The word raced through my mind and then he was gone. I hesitated for a minute and scrambled over to the corner.

"Dad? Daddy?" I asked giving into the sliver of hope that he was still alive. I felt his bloody and dragged him into the light. Blood. All I could see was blood. It soaked my hands and started to puddle on the floor. Black pricked at my eyes and I fainted.

When I woke up again, his body was gone and so was the blood. There was sunlight now. I could see where I was. I was right when I said I was in a cement box there was a short hall at least ten feet that led to a gate then had a new lock on it. I tried to break it open, with no luck. I looked around outside and saw headstones, which meant I was in a crypt. The cell was at least 15x15 feet.

After a few days, I had one visitor he gave me a loaf of bread.

I gave up hope of escape after I noted winter was over and spring was coming.

My life became a constant circle. Wake up, live. Every three days they would knock me out and bath and change me ( I guess they didn't like stinky food.) I and then I would wake up back into the crypt. Every two days I got one loaf of bread. Enough to keep me alive, too little for me to fight back.

After wintered returned, one day a human was strolling through the cemetery. He was old and I thanked the lord someone still had loved ones here.

"Please! Help, please!" My voice croaked out. Still sore from the vampire that visited last night. When he saw me he ran. The last glimmer of hope snuffed out and I sunk back into my cell and let tears roll down my cheeks. A couple minutes later there was a loud snap and something fell to the ground. I stood up and shrinked back as far as I could. The human walked in and took my hand. I let him led me out, the snow was cold on my bare feet.

"I'd your name Jamie Brokeheart?"

He asked giving me his coat. I nodded.

"The whole towns been looking for you," he said and led me to his truck and opened the door for me. When he started the truck he turned on the heat. We begin the car ride back to town. He didn't say anything and I was thankful. Because the last thing I wanted to do was talk.

He took me to a hospital and gave me to a nurse I thanked him and he gave me a nod.

As soon as I told them my name they got me a doctor and had me change into a paper gown after showering. They gave me a full body scan, cuts from being dragged on the cement. A few wrongly healed bones but they were mostly interested in my scars, my bite marks. when I didn't answer they figured cannibals. They called my mom and she came with Josh, her husband. She cried and I let her hug me. My near death expertise didn't change my mind about her. But I really need a shoulder to cry on.

"Oh my baby, what happened?"

I didn't answer. I shook my head and pulled the blanket tighter around my fragile and overly skinny body. When they finally understood I wasn't talking, they let the police try. They didn't get far either.

"Just one last question okay? Where is your father?"

I looked at my mother straight in the eye,

"Dead,"