Chapter Seven- Goodnight Jake

Start from the beginning

A small smile came to my face as I realized this boy loved and trusted me enough to take all of his broken pieces and mend them back together. He was okay with me seeing him in such a horrible state, because he knew I could fix him. That's all I could ever asked for.

When we got back to his dorm he pulled off his jacket and plopped down onto the bed. I did the same and joined him. The lights went off and his arm pulled me to him. In a matter of minutes his exhaustion caused him to fall asleep.

I couldn't help, but to lie there wide awake. As the hours passed I grew bored, really bored. I pulled out my phone and scrolled through Twitter. Jake tweeted a few minutes ago about some studio session.

Quickly, I exited Twitter and sent Jake a plain old text saying "hey."

"What are you doing up so late?" He texted back, almost instantly.

"I couldn't sleep." I simply stated.

"So you texted me?" I could almost feel the smirk forming on his face.

My eyes rolled as I replied, "yeah."

"What about your boyfriend Alec?" Jake asked.

"What's with all the questions?" I answered back.

"Sorry," He said, "So how have you been? Long time no see."

I glanced over at Alec, still fast asleep. His face didn't display a frown anymore. He just looked neutral. Not like someone who just lost their family. I wonder if he's blaming himself. When my dad was MIA I remember blaming myself for it. It didn't make sense, but it's all I could do.

"I'm okay. How about you?" I replied to Jake.

As I read all of his texts I could hear his voice. I wanted to call him, but I couldn't leave or wake Alec.

"Just really tired. There's no time for sleep when you're in the studio."

Joking around I replied, "Writing about me again? (;"

"Of course!" He said, "Gotta go record, but I'll talk to you later. Goodnight Kayla, get some sleep."

A smile overtook my face. "Goodnight Jake."

I locked my phone and set it down on the nightstand. A sigh of contentment left my lips. I turned towards Alec and gave him a kiss on his forehead. "Goodnight Alec."

Sleep finally found me after the dreaded time of 5 a.m.

***

When I woke up Alec wasn't next to me. Jake was there with his smirk placed on his lips.

I looked around to see this wasn't Alec's dorm. This was Jake's bedroom.

Jake leaned down and kissed my forehead. "Good morning Kayla."

"You can't do that! I can't be here!" I yelled.

He looked at me confused. "I thought you loved me?"

I shook my head. "I have a boyfriend!"

Jake just laughed. "Yeah, that would be me."

"But, no--Alec, and--what?" I tried to get the words out, but I was too confused.

"Kayla are you feeling okay?" Jake asked, looking at me strangely.

I ripped the covers off and started walking downstairs. "I'm fine."

This was Jake's house, just like I remembered it. But why am I here? The rest of the Millers were eating breakfast in the kitchen.

"Good morning Kayla!" Jenny said while giving me a hug.

I didn't hug back, but she just smiled and sat back down at the table.

Mrs. Miller set out a plate of pancakes next to Jenny. "Here Kayla, come eat some breakfast."

"Um, I'll be right back..." I said, slowly inching backwards.

When the Millers were out of sight, I turned around and started to run--well tried to, at least. I collided into a shirtless Jake.

"What is going on with you Kayla?" Jake asked. He gripped my arms so that I couldn't escape.

"Why am I here? I should be back in college with Alec!" I shouted, a little more harshly than I had meant to.

Jake let go of my arms. There was a pained expression on his face.

He started talking to me, but I couldn't hear what he was saying.

"What?" I said.

He kept talking, but no sound was there. I could only hear myself.

"What's going on? Make it stop!" I yelled in frustration.

I wanted to cry. I wanted to just break down and cry. But soon everything started to blur, and turn white.

I shot up out of bed drenched in sweat. I frantically looked around. I was in Alec's dorm still. Jake wasn't there. But neither was Alec. Which made me question if I was still dreaming.

I pinched myself, but I didn't wake up. I got out of bed to look in the bathroom, but no one was in there. There was no note, or text saying where Alec had gone. He just left.

Why would he do that?

Maybe he just needed some alone time. To get away from the world for a little bit. I would want that if my parents passed.

Usually, I couldn't remember my dreams very well. The one I just woke from was a very clear and vivid one though. But what did it mean?

Dreams always mean something, right?

The picture I couldn't get out of my mind was Jake's face when I had said Alec's name. Why did he look like that?

And why did Alec leave me when I thought he needed me the most?

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••