Chapter One

Everyone knows there are two sides to every story. Everyone knows that nothing can be one sided. Yeah, that's right, I said it. Nothing. I mean how can you expect to resolve an issue without understanding everyone else's perspective of what went down?

(Flashback)

"Mrs. Jones, can you tell me what happened that night?"

I was fourteen at the time. I had no idea what I'd done. Well I mean I did, I just couldn't believe it. So there I am, sitting in from of this detective replaying the question she'd asked me in my head.

"Ms. Jones?".

It was like I was in shock. I couldn't move. All I could do was relive that moment in my life over and over and over again.

"Ms. Jones?"

Present Day; Sunday, December 1

I walked out the door in the clothes I had went in with. The sun was shining so bright it almost seemed as if it were smiling at me. My time was up, I was finally free. I opened the door and got in. Once I shut it, I realized there was nothing but complete silence. "Hey ma." I received nothing but silence in return.

(Flashback)

"Come on Kai, it'll be fun."

"You're just saying that because you want me to come with you."

"Yeah, but it wouldn't be the same if you weren't with me."

"Bryshere, I don't know about this. Something just doesn't feel right."

"Come on, please? For me? I'll buy you your favorite ice-cream.'

"Bryshere, I'm serious. Something bad is gonna happen tonight."

"How do you know?"

"I can feel it. Something just seems. . . Off."

"Just stick with me and you'll be fine."

"Promise?"

"I promise. I'll never let anything happen to you."

Present Day

We pulled up in the driveway and mom still hasn't said a word to me. "How ---- how is he?"

"Bryshere?"

"Yeah."

"He's fine."

"How's his leg?"

"Pretty good. He's the star player of the basketball team."

"That's great."

"Yeah."

With that, she got out the car and walked in the house. Me following 20 feet behind.

(Flashback)

"Yo, Bryce da cops is hea." Said my friend Woody. He and I have known each other for about three years, but he and Bryshere go way back.