Epliogue

Menna

Two years later

'Congratulations' said the kind doctor. Smiling at me and handing me the little bundle wrapped in a shawl. My hands shook as I took him in my arms. I don't think I've ever loved anything so much. It was so surreal. Firas was still crying silently. Both our families were outside the door waiting to be asked to come in. I don't think he has ever cried this much in his entire life. I wanted to cry too. But I think my emotions were beyond tears.

'You want to hold him?' I asked him. He nodded solemnly and stretched out to take him from me. He was so careful with him, it was as though a tiny breeze could whisk him away from us. I smiled through my exhaustion.

'I love you' He said thickly.

'I know' I said feeling ten times what he was feeling

'I meant you, Menna' He said looking at me with so much emotion I could almost feel the heat from the intensity.

'And.... I love him too. But I feel like... ' something was wrong. He looked constricted.

'What is it Firas. Tell me habiby' I said gently beckoning for him to come sit next to me. He placed the baby in his little bed and sat beside me.

'You love him, more than me don't you?' He said.

And only because he looked so pained. Only because I could tell he was serious. But I longed to burst out laughing.

'Habiby, I have enough space in my heart for both of you. Nobody. Nobody can ever replace you.'

And when he looked at me uncertainly, I took his face between my hands and said

'I'm going to have other babies. But I'll never have another you Firas. You are... ' I choked on tears.

What started out as a reassurance for my very childish husband turned into an atomic bomb of realization. This man loved me so much. And I wish I could @@tell him how much he means to me. But words could only scratch the surface. Tears slid down my cheeks in indecent succession. It was as though all the emotion I've been holding back broke loose like a dam with weak embarkments.

'Menna I'm sorry. It's okay. You can love him all you want. Don't cr-' He broke off crying too.

'No' I shook my head laughing. And despite the tears he smiled weakly at me.

'You are going to exhaust your tears Firas. Save some for when you love Aman more than me' I teased wiping my tears.

'Impossible' He said simply but with full conviction.

'I love you' I said. Hoping my eyes could convey just how much I felt.

'I love you more my Menna and I love the name.'

I grinned and looked at our sleeping son.

'Aman' He said again.

'Aman' I echoed.

'Menna, today was the scariest day of my life. I'm never going through that again'

'Firas that' I said pointing at Aman. 'Came out of me. And I still want him to have siblings.'

'No way. Menna I almost lost you'

'But you didn't' I said exasperated.

He said nothing but just stared at me. He took my hand and layed my palm over his heart. It was beating so fast, it was a wonder he wasn't hyperventilating.

'I'm okay. We're okay Firas'

'I know' He said.

Even though I felt as though I had been run over by a bus. Even though I felt as drained and wrung out as a rag, I held him with all the strength I could muster. Because he was worth it. Because he made all the sense in the world. Because if I could make a list of the attributes I wanted in a man, I would tick them off one by one in Firas.

'Can we come in!' I heard mama say impatiently.

That broke us apart.

'I love you so much Menna. I'm sorry I'm such a mess. I should be taking care of you' He said guilt obscuring his handsome features.

I shook my head gently smiling. He kissed my forehead and tucked me carefully under the covers. Aman yawned in his sleep and I felt such tenderness envelope my heart.

'Menna' Firas called me out of my reverie.

'Yes Habiby' I said looking up at him.

'Brace yourself' He said and opened the door.

A whole crowd of people poured in. Ziad, My parents, Firas' parents and grandmother and even Lila. Perhaps it was because there was so much love thundering through my veins, but I felt fond of all of the people gathered around Aman.

I sighed without realizing I've been holding my breath. Everything was okay. I wouldn't have it any other way. I gazed up at Firas as he looked back at me steadily. His eyes filled with adoration. His face was the last thing I saw before exhaustion took over me, and I drifted into a peaceful sleep.

That's it. I hope you enjoyed my book. Don't forget to vote and comment. Thank you so much.