Right In Front Of You

Firas
I never imagined things between Menna and I would transform so quickly. It was as though she had casted a spell on me. Pulling me in. And making me feel things I never believed possible. She was everywhere. In every single thought. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw her. And when I opened my eyes, I longed to see her. How is it that, over a very short period of time, she has enveloped my very being without even trying. Without meaning to. I still don't know her. My shoulder was throbbing like hell. But she distracted me. I found myself wanting to memorize every curve of her face. Her delicate features left me in awe. I had free reign to feed my eyes as I wanted. Her nose was small and straight. And she had a small birthmark right over the top of the left corner of her mouth. She had tucked both her hands under her cheek and balled up herself under the covers. A wave of pain pierced through every pore in my skin. Going deeper until my bones shook. I needed my drugs. Trying hard not to scream in pain, I quietly sat up and went to get some. It was a bit challenging opening the child proof cap. I tried again and again. On the third try, the cap flew out of my fingers and sent the entire content spilling in every direction.

'Is everything okay?' Menna asked
The ruckus must have woken her up.

'Nope' I said, popping the P. Trying to hide my pain. She seemed unconviced

'You look white with pain Firas' she said her eyes filled with concern. She stood up and picked two pills from the scattered ones on the floor. She handed them to me. And poured a glass of water from the jug. She waited for me to drink up, then bent without a word and started picking them up one by one and returning them into the bottle and then stood up placing the cap back on.

'I'm going to go see if the nurse is here. I need these bandages changed' I said trying to ignore the fact that I was so glad she was here. Somehow I didn't feel so much like a Martian.

'Okay' She said simply. I still stood before her.

'Thank you for... ' I said hesitantly

'It's nothing' She said

'Okay' I said. Where was this awkwardness coming from. I backed away slowly and headed towards the door.

'Firas' She called after me

'I'm glad you are okay' She said her voice dripping with sincerity. And then the lame pauses and awkwardness vanished as though it was never there. I smiled and open the door.

Mother was waiting anxiously in the living room. She didn't seem to have had much sleep herself. Father was there too. He too seemed tired.

'Peace be upon you' I said as mother hurried to my side

'Peace be upon you too son.' Father replied

'How are you feeling habiby' Mother said her voice filled with concern

'I'm okay mother' I said
She didn't seem convinced. She put her palm on my forehead feeling my temperature.

'The nurse us here. And the physiotherapist.' She said.

'Grandma is here too' She added.

'She came in early this morning' She explained. I only nodded.
My grandmother and mother's mother and I don't see eye to eye. Not since I broke up with Layla anyway. Layla was her best friend's grand daughter and they had planned our wedding ever since we were kids. I suppose they nudged us into the whole idea of a relationship.

'You should go change those bandages Firas' Mother reminded me. I got up to leave when Father said

'I will go with you. I want a word' He said standing up too. This couldn't be good. The door to the living room swung open and let in grandmother.

'Morning Mama' Mother said brightly

'Morning Nadeen' She replied curtly. The woman had the emotional capacity of a robot.

'Good morning mother. How was your flight? 'Father said

'Tiring' She said. She looked at me. I suppose I was supposed to greet her too.

'Hello grandmother' I said stiffly

'Firas dear. How are you feeling' She asked her eyes never softening. So unlike Menna's. I smiled at the thought. She must have thought I was smiling at her. Because she tried to mirror the expression. But failed.
Father and I headed for the door. As soon as we were out of earshot. Father began

'How is the girl?'

'Menna you mean?' I said wondering were the in the blazes this conversation was heading. We had reached the grounds, and we're walking down a path on the lawn.

'Yes yes' He said impatiently

'She is fine I guess. Why do you ask?' I asked looking sideways at him.

'I think it's time for her to go' He said without hesitating.

'What do you mean go?'I asked my heart starting to beat faster.

'She's not your match Firas. She doesn't even begin to match up to your status. You obviously feel better these days. She has done her part well. But this marriage needs to be terminated.' He said this like it was a flimsy contract deal over a couple of buildings. I heard him but the incredulity of his words left me speechless.

'So you expect me to just divorce her' I said my voice starting to shake

'Yes. And this is my final say.' He said dismissively

'And if I say no?' I said trying to be calm

'You don't want to disobey me Firas' He said in a very calm voice.

'What happened to honor and value. Is this really the honorable thing to do? She's my wife. And do not wish to divorce her' I said plainly

'You will divorce her. And you will marry Layla.' He said

'This is my final say. Get it done' He said and walked away. Leaving me feeling like punching a wall and screaming my head in anger and frustration. It was things like this that makes me want to leave this house and never shadow their doorstep again. He lied to me. He wasn't the honorable man he made me to believe. This was nowhere near honor. It was downright ill repute. Running my good hand through my hair in exasperation, I turned around. My anger melted into panic as I saw Menna's face wide with shock. Or fear. Or both. I couldn't tell. She had been standing behind the wall beside sidewalk we were walking on. She must have heard everything we said. As soon as my eyes met hers, she let go of the books in her hands and ran off towards the barn.