chapter 27

The clock in the hall chimed at 12 o'clock. The house was quiet everything and everyone at a standstill. James gave them the day off. But of course the staff would attend the funeral. Elena refused to leave the house. Ella she was devastated.

Katherines presence was an obvious absence and was taking its toll.
The herse was to arrive five minutes ago and james stood looking out the window waiting impatiently. His eyes switching between his designer watch and the double paned window. The seconds hand kept moving and every minute that went by he became more on edge. Where was she?

Ella had asked the same question last night as james tucked her into bed.
"Where is mum?" She looked into his tired eyes and lay a hand on his cheek.

"Is she in heaven?" She looked so hopeful whatever answer she got she would live with for the rest of her life.

"She is looking over you princess" he found himself whispering

Ella looked on her dresser at a picture of her and her mother laughing and playing on the swings at the park. Katherines mother had taken it before she had gotten sick. Before she lost weight and her skin had lost its colour the glow of happiness she had about her gone. This was the way james hoped that ella remembered her mother because that was Katherines true self she always carried with her an air of peacefulness and joy.

The herse pulled up the long drive and the drivers got out to help lift katherine from the back. James opened the door and allowed them in.

The men looked down as they entered as a mark of respect to the mourners and thier home. James brought them to where katherines body would be kept until the funeral in two days time.

He and elena alongside katherines mother had discussed it at length. A room katherine loved more than anything in this house. The music room would be where she rested. James loved this room only when she was with him the record player playing a slow melody. And katherine twirling around the room carefree. All beautiful memories.

He had to write a eulogy for tomorrow. So had elena. Katherines mother and the staff along with members from the community had requested to form a guard of honour for katherine. James had felt deeply touched and agreed.

The men set katherine down where requested and looked at james

"Sir we are sorry for your loss your wife was a well known and good hearted woman she has helped each of us in our own personal battles it is an honour to be part of her memorial" the main driver spoke and shook james hands

The love for katherine in the community was touching and unreal much deeper than james himself knew.

He walked the men out and returned to the music room. The casket was open and he looked into his sleeping beauty unable to wake her with a true loves kiss he looked helpless and whispered A good night to her before heading to bed.

The wake was a haze for james and the members of staff. Funeral arrangements made he was preparing himself for the day. Last night he wrote her eulogy sitting beside her. He was proud to call her his wife and he was hoping he could do her proud.

He stood in his black armani suit katherines favourite one. And adjusted his silk tie. Elena sat on the bed fixing ellas hair. James had found her that morning crying beside her mother. She ran to him wrapping her arms around his neck seeking comfort. They spent the rest of the morning talking remembering katherine. Now it was time to say goodbye.

The herse came and lifted katherine. The house was busy callers offering condolences the past two days non stop and this morning people arrived for the short service inside the home. Now as they walked the street behind the herse did it sink in with them all this was thier final goodbye.

The streets where lined with people. Clients of james, Katherines, staff, family friends,friends from all over and everyone else who wanted to pay respect to her. The guard of honour was truly a beautiful sight and brought tears to his eyes. Ellas hand found his as they walked and they squeezed hands looking at eachother offering silent support.

The church was full flowers decorating the isles. She loved flowers. James sat in the front pew with ella, katherines mother, his parents and elena and lilly katherines best friend.

The minister talked of the woman laying still in front of them. He talked of her aspirations, the things she was proud of and her family. Then james was called up.

He had always been good at speeches but he found himself feeling the need to losten his tie and clear his throat.

He opened his mouth and began his personal farewell.

"Hello, everyone. I would like to start my eulogy by reciting a poem...

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with the juicy bone.
Silence the pianos and, with muffled drum,
Bring out the coffin. Let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling in the sky the message: "She is dead!"
Put crepe bows around the white necks of the public doves.
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

She was my north, my south, my east and west,
My working week and Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song.
I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one.
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun.
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can come to any good

Katherine was my wife a beautiful woman who saw good in every person. A woman who helped me find good in myself. I didn't think one person could have such a big impact on the world i often viewed one person as weak and helpless against the world but she showed me how wrong I was. Katherine changed my life and every single person in here. She impacted so many people. Her daughter was raised single handed by Katherine and she has been moulded perfectly by a perfect woman. I messed her around threw her out of my house but when I found out the truth she was willing to call a truce. She came back to me with open arms and helped mend my broken heart for i missed out on the lobe we shared and helping her rear my lovley daughter.

When we where young and madly in love out on a date laying on the hood of my car. We sat watching the stars j remeber her saying a few words...

She told me when she dies she wanted to be remembered as a good person, who was loved, who was cherished and honourable.

Well I can say proudly i have never met a better woman. A woman with more heart. Faith and love than Katherine Marie saunders"

There was a round of applause as james finished and Elena got up to say her part....

Authors note

A chapter left so this isn't the end...