chapter 8

Song- now or never - halsey

Katherine walked into work the next day with a spring in her step. She smiled at security, waved at her office mates and when she turned the corner into her cubical and found james standing there looking pissed of she flashed him a smile and sat down in her chair.

"Hello james how may i help you today?" Her voice was chirpy and sweet. It supprised her. The lack of hostility towords him was a shock to him to.

"I want to know why the fuck i just got a letter from my private investigator saying that you had a child" he roared. Suddenly Katherine didn't feel so happy. Her face drained of all colour. And she could feel herself becoming unsteady on her feet.

"I don't know what your talking about James"

" I hired a private investigator to dig into your past after we got divorced. Sort of. And well i dug that up." His face was red with rage and Katherine felt eyes on her. she looked around the office and saw people staring at them. 

"James lets take this somewhere private" her voice was shaky but thankfully he agreed, she led him into the conference room where they held meetings. When the door was closed firmly shut she turned to face him. Raising an eyebrow at him. What was he thinking the gossip is probably already spreading about her. She tended to keep her marriage to James out of conversations so that would be new information for them all.

"Why didn't you tell me i have a daughter?" His question is sharp and straight to the point

"James if you hadn't realised you kicked me out with nothing to my name, you used to be so sweet James i loved you but now you're filled with hate and i'm afraid of you. I was afraid to tell you. You are intimidating and you had already dragged my name through the dirt. What would you have done tell me. It's not lile you had any right to be in contact with my daughter after the way you treated me. And what the hell why did you have a private investigator on me?" she bites back. He opens then closes his mouth for a minute obviously thinking. Katherine stood fuming at the hunk in front of her. He used to bring her flowers. Kiss her cheek while she made dinner. Then on Saturdays he took over in the kitchen treating her like a queen giving her breakfast in bed. What happened to the man she used to love?

what did he mean sort of divorced?

"You're right Katherine" he breaks the silence. Katherine looked up surprised at his answer. "I was blinded with rage i would probably have kicked you out anyway and left you both." He runs his hands through his hair. He looks shattered and broken but Katherine wasn't done she needed more of an answer not this half assed excuse. she was tired of being shrugged off she needed to know what he was trying to say.

"So what James you thought you would come in to the place i work and make an absolute fool of me in front of colleagues and clients? Telling them you divorced me" she yells at him.

He looks up from the floor and into her eyes this time Katherine sees something. Guilt. Oh god what now she rolls her eyes internally. she could feel tears welling up in her eyes but she refused to give in to them. 

"Um katherine i need to tell you something" he rings his hands, then fidgets with the button on his grey suit jacket, she nods signaling for him to keep going. "I um possibly didn't um put the divorce papers through" he blurts it out so quickly Katherine thought she heard wrong

"Are you kidding?" Her eyes widen at the thought of still being married to him. this couldn't be possible she had signed them and left the house. why would he not submit them?

"No i'm not Katherine. I thought you would come back and talk to me. Stupid I know but after a few days I felt so lonley and heartbroken had we talked I would have loved to have back with you. Then after a while I just forgot about then  where processed but i might have especially after i found out that you um, didn't cheat on me. I felt like such a dick head."